Chapter 31 - New Recuits

Ash recovers swiftly, the status quo finally restored to headquarters as he quickly returns to his position as the boss once again. There's no doubt to anyone that Serena still holds authority in the ranks, but she's more than happy to relinquish her more tedious duties back to him.

"I don't know how you do it. I almost let Miette put that old man out of his misery," Serena says to Ash who takes his seat on the barstool across the island. Serena pours him coffee and slides it across the marbled surface in one smooth motion. Ash sips it with a satisfied hum.

"Did he say anything to you that I should kill him for?" Ash asks nonchalantly, setting his mug down.

Serena sighs before shaking her head. "He'll probably do a fine job himself with all that wheezing he's doing. He should worry about his health instead of us, anyway."

Ash chuckles in agreement. "Well, no one would dare threaten you now."

After all, it's well known who Serena is with and who Ash answers to. She takes a seat beside him, puffing her chest with pride as she sips at her own drink. They enjoy each other's company in the morning light with a foreign feeling of peace that's long overdue.

Ash is eventually called away to his duties and kisses Serena's cheek before he departs.

Serena whispers a soft "be safe" before she lets him go. Ash gives her a reassuring smile and a kiss on her lips this time before he disappears. If anything, whoever Ash is meeting with today would be wise to consider their own safety above all.

There's a lot to be done with the fall of the Ketchum gang. New loyalties to be established, new territories to be overseen by the Demons with Shalour City's underground world dwindling out of control, as well as a new influx of recruits that have defected from Ketchums territory to take up strength with the Demons.

In the evening, Serena oversees the recruits and their training along with Dawn and Misty as additional instructors. Some of them showed promise, but it was clear to Ash's closest members that these recruits were rough around the edges to say the least — prone to cheap tactics and sloppy violent attacks. It's of no surprise that this was due to Giovanni's leadership, undisciplined and driven by a rabid, bloodthirsty will.

To Serena's annoyance, though not unexpected, there are some individuals that aren't quite accustomed to the hierarchy of the Demons. In Giovanni's world, women weren't in their ranks, serving as maids and sources of entertainment. Some of them would even ogle at her in what they thought was their own secrecy and Serena rewarded them with intense sparring sessions that always left them begging for her to yield.

Today, there's a recruit she doesn't know the name of that challenges her. Serena raises her brow from her post, unimpressed by his bravado.

"With live steel," the recruit suggests cockily, resentment clear in his eyes. Whether it was for Serena being a woman or a woman in power, she doesn't know, but she has an inkling that it's both.

"Hold on now. Easy there. You don't want to-" Dawn starts and Serena puts out her arm to interrupt her words.

"I've got it, Dawn," she says simply, her gaze never leaving her opponent.

"It's not you I'm worried about, Serena," Dawn sighs, but leaves Serena to her devices.

She nods towards the weapons rack. "Go ahead. Choose."

He grins and takes not one, but two katanas off the rack and Serena has to will herself not to roll her eyes. Someone is clearly compensating for something.

From her waist she draws a finely crafted katana, the steel polished to the dangerously sharpened blade. The guard hilt is in the shape of a golden rose that blooms at the base of the blade. The weave of the handle intersects with crimson red and abyssal black. A gift from Ash that he commissioned from the finest weaponsmiths in the country.