Chapter 16 - Long Time No Talk

"Long time no talk, my son."

Ash's entire body stiffens and rage floods from his chest to his throat, scorching on his tongue as he curses and grips his phone in an iron grip. The arrogant tone grates on his nerves, clawing out poison that he wants to lash out with. He hasn't heard this voice for years, but he would never forget it — his one regret coming too close for comfort, the regret of not killing him when he had the chance.

"Gio."

Deep laughter spawns from Giovanni's lips through the speaker. "Not even on full name basis or a hello, dad. Why are you so angry? It's been years since we've talked, son."

This man had nothing, but the audacity.

"Cut the shit, Gio. You're not anything remotely close to a father — mine no less, and I'm not your son. This was all your fault, wasn't it?" Ash seethes.

He watches with torn eyes as Sawyer's body is being removed from the car and placed into a body bag. The warm smiles that crinkled his eyes behind the bangs of green hair would never rise again to remind Ash of who he was and what they created.

Giovanni twists the knife in Ash's heart, as though he were standing next to him watching the scene unfold. "Not at all. It's yours." When Ash doesn't respond, he continues. "You must know by now that after all these years, people die because of you."

"What have you done to her?" Ash demands, pacing over to the quiet of the alleyway far from the sounds of sirens.

Giovanni mocks innocently as he speaks. "It's just a flesh wound, son. It seems like she isn't weak, but that will only last so long until I grow tired of her. Sad, knowing what a feisty one she is."

Ash's jaw grinds, his fist digging crescents into his palm containing his own fury. The thought of Serena hurt with Giovanni as his judge and executioner brings a new desperation to his fingertips that he's never felt before. Wrath rattles through every word. "Gio, I swear on your soon to be dead body, if you lay a single finger on her-"

"You'll what? Ah, will you come for her? She seems to think that you won't."

It cuts a shallow wound across Ash's cheek, stunned while it stings underneath ice cold drops of the rain. The flames of his anger are doused with a heavy realization that anchors him motionless. He saw the disbelief clear in Serena's eyes the night she fled the cruise ship, but he would've never thought it twisted the the woman so much inside.

I should've gone after her.

The next words out of Giovanni's mouth breaks Ash's heart clean in two.

"By the looks of it, this woman simply loves you so much that she's willing to die here if it means protecting you. I knew you were cruel, but this is a new level. I'm almost impressed."

Ash's mouth opens and closes, gaping at the face of the truth. It feels like a curse coming from his mouth. To Ash, even demons and devils have prayers not laced with torment and destruction, and he wants nothing more than to hold Serena's cheeks between his palms like she's the answer, the one true believer in every side of him that he himself couldn't love. If Serena was really willing to walk this path by his side, he would give her everything. The weapon that destroys, but the heart that will hold her safe in every space it swells.

Giovanni's voice filters in through Ash's haze. "I'll give you a deal. Your life, for hers. How about it, son?"

"When?" Ash responds immediately and Giovanni chuckles, the grin clear.

"In three hours, you'll meet at the coordinates I'll send to you. My guards will bring the woman along. Don't think you can bring any tricks. If you pull anything, she dies. Is that clear?"