Chapter 11 - Barberries

"You are disgusting!" [Y/N] fell backwards and stared blankly at Alma. The force of the slap had sent her reeling to the floor, all the while Nicolas smirked at her. "You are to pack your bags and leave immediately! Don't bother saying goodbye, I don't want any of my familia to be infected," she sneered. [Y/N] just emptily looked nowhere. "LOOK AT ME WHEN I SPEAK TO YOU! GO PACK YOUR BAGS AND LEAVE WITH YOUR PADRE! LEAVE AND NEVER RETURN!" She slowly nodded and stood up, wincing at the feeling of fire dancing on her cheek. She walked as calmly as she could to her shared room, getting a bag and placing her stuff in it, while tears were making tracks on her cheeks.

"[Y/N]?" Dolores' timid voice whispered. She shook her head and forced a smile.

"Yes?" Dolores came into her room (or is it her old room?), grimaced, and said,

"...I heard." [Y/N] choked down a sigh, and replied,

"I apologise you had to hear that." Dolores sighed and opened up her arms.

"C'mere." She just stared for a while. She slowly walked over to the hug. They quickly settled into an embrace, Dolores stroking her hair. "I know everything, hermana, cariña. Your padre is so, so cruel." She could feel [Y/N]'s tears soaking her shoulder, but couldn't bring herself to care. "I can't do much to convince Abuela, but I will try." Sounds of crashing interrupted what they were saying. Dolores seemed to stop before letting out a small, breathless laugh. [Y/N] tilted her head and Dolores shook her head, amused. "Here, let me show you."

"You're a bad influence, y'know?" The two sisters who used to hate each other laughed as Isabela flicked a flower at Mirabel.

"What is this?!"

Isabela immediately sat up, looking at her abuela and her dress. She scuttles off, ashamed of failing Alma's expectations.

[Y/N]'s smile immediately fell. She shrank behind Dolores, her short happiness ruined. She felt a hand on her shoulder and glanced up to see Nicolas' stern face.

"We're leaving right now." She blinked and opened her mouth to argue.

"I haven't finished packing yet!" His face twisted into a foul glare.

"I don't care." He dragged her out, and hauled her over his shoulder when she began to struggle.

"Dolores! Camilo! HELP!" Her boyfriend and his sister ran after her, chasing her and reaching out for her arms. She was still out of reach when Nicolas said, sickly sweet,

"As her legal guardian, I have the ability to take her where I go. Please stop trying to grab her," before loading her on to a carriage and making it go. [Y/N] sank to the ground, her eyes tearing up. He glanced back at her and tched. "Stop crying. Don't be an annoyance."