•He's hated you, Love

Silah

Silah

After dinner was over, Ailana and Khuraisa cleaned up the kitchen, while I served some 'ras malai' to everyone.

Mama and baba had left for their rooms. The boys were outside in the lawn. Mimi had helped Amma begum to her room and the girls were chatting over the wedding functions as they did the dishes.

" Altamash sahb is with Amma begum in her room and she is calling you."

Mimi spoke as she entered the kitchen and her warm gaze met mine. Silence followed next and I remained engrossed with putting the bowls and spoon on the tray.

" I am coming."

I said.

" I'll bring this with me."

Mimi said as her hands clasped around the golden bar of the tray. I nodded as she walked ahead.

" Silah, come soon. Tea is almost ready."

" Okay Khuraisa."

And with that, I walked down the hall and towards Amma begum's room. My hands sweated just at the thought of facing Altamash again. That man had a purpose whenever he looked at me with those hard eyes of his.

Mimi had disappeared inside the room as I swept a hand over the smooth fabric of my shirt.

" She's the last living memory of Sarfaraz here. How can we let that go? And she's happy here. Among us. We're her family."

I could hear Amma begum say and my heart clenched.

They were talking about me.

" I thought she would have left.."

The bowls and spoons clanked as perhaps Mimi served the dessert.

" Hmm, but no one ever imagined her leaving."

Hearing their whispers made me turn on my steps. Maybe I shouldn't go inside. Different thoughts conjured my mind and just as I was about to leave, the door opened.

Mimi's hesitant eyes met mine before I looked away. Embarrassment coated both of our cheeks. What would Mimi think, obviously that you were eavesdropping Silah.

" Dulhan bibi, come."

Mimi said softly and the conversation in the room ended almost immediately as my figure came into their views.

" Come chanda, why are you standing there. Come to me."

My hand clasped around the polished golden handle of the door as I held onto it and I looked around the dimly lit room. The warm yellow lights in Amma begum's room were lit. The man sitting on the single sofa chair opposite to Amma begum who was resting on the bed. The tray remained near the sofa on the dark furniture table. And I calculated my steps needed to reach Amma begum. Perhaps I could just stand by the door and make conversation.