Prologue

PROLOGUE

The air was cool, and the moonlight was shining onto us. My coffee was cooling because of the air, and I heard the laughter and chatter of words before me. We took a shortcut because according to one of my friends this was the "right way," in which was a dark alley. This was a start to some horror movie, but I ignored the tense feeling. Everything seemed all right for now, but I still tried to ignore the feeling, but the thought kept crawling back to me. The dark alley didn't seem dangerous, so maybe I am overreacting.

There was no litter, gangs, or any black cats roaming among the shadows; it seemed safe-ish. Besides, I couldn't change the mood for my friends, mainly the extroverted ones who take things too seriously. The smell didn't seem to bother me either, it smelled like petrichor. My friends came to a halt, since I was in the back, I tried to see what was going on. Rika was next to me and squeezed my hand, I looked back at Rika with a tense, anxious feeling in my chest growing larger.

Rika's face looked contorted with fear, in which I widened my eyes. She tried saying words to me, but all that came out was nothingness. I peeked over my friend's shoulder--Emily--and saw crimson, red running down her pale face. I gave a slight chuckle of anxiety, and anger. I glared past her, and what I saw was a man, with stained and dried blood on his pale, green shirt. My eyes locked onto his, feeling the anger, fear, and sadness heating my face, all I could do was stare. He grabbed Emily and threw her to the ground. Blood, spilling from her head, and onto the ground.

He walked to Trenna, who was staring at the ground at Emily. She looked up as the man grabbed her, with a hideous grin on his face. He raised his knife high in the air and stabbed her just as she came out of her trance, Trenna let out a scream of misery. I let go of Rika's hand and reached into my pocket, remembering what my parents gave me. I felt the smooth grip of a handle, and a serrated blade about five inches long. I took a step forward, slowly, and shakily. I bring the knife out subtly. Sorry Rika, and sorry Rei. Please, don't hate me too much. I thought to myself in the back of my mind. I watched him walk towards Rei, "I've just about had it..." I whisper to myself, slowly grinning. Gaining a twisted confidence, I began to run to the man who was holding the knife to Rei's neck. Just as blood began to drip down her neck, I grabbed the man by his hair and yanked him backward so hard, I ripped a chunk of his scalp off. He looked at me--confused for a second-- and his eyes darted to his right for a split second and began to thrash. I took the lovely pocket knife that was carved with a thorny rose on the wooden handle. I gave him a look of pity.

"You really are pathetic." I said arbitrarily, as I glared at him. He already knew that my mercy for him ran dry. I put the knife to his chest and began to press. He began to shriek a half choked and desperate scream. I pressed harder, and felt something hard under the tip, a bone. His face began to pale, and his screams quieted. I watched as his face froze in fear, and his blood flowed freely from his ribs. Minutes later, I looked behind, seeing Rei and Rika staring at me with a shocked expression.