PRODIGY VERSUS PRODIGY!

REI

After that whole fiasco with Shiro, I decided I wanted to talk to Kosame more. I tried to think of ways to make an excuse to talk to him, but all of them ended in a dead end. I sighed and looked around the room, I spotted something hidden away in a corner. I was curious so I approached it, I gulped. I bent down to take a better look at it, and I spotted a chess board. I frowned and groaned, "I thought it would be something fun..." I took a second look at it; I touched the board. Dust seemed to come off when I touched it and I cringed, when was the last time I used this? I took out the pieces from the chess board, I assumed all the pieces were there. I took out the pieces one by one, each dustier than the one before. Soon I heard the door creak open, I looked behind me, Kosame. "Oh, hey, Mr. I-Am-In-A-Phase." I beamed at him, Kosame frowned, "Oh, shut up." He looked where I was and he approached me, "Is that a chess board?" I nodded, "The last time I used this was when I was at least five years old. My father taught me how to play, but I soon became bored of it."

"I see. But were you good?" Kosame bent down next to me, I laughed, "Maybe, at least for a five-year-old. But now? I would probably be bad." I picked up the pieces, and Kosame looked at me, "You know, when I was younger, I used to be a chess prodigy myself."

"Oh really?" I raised my eyebrows, and he nodded, "I'm still good, even now." I smirked, "Then I challenge you to a match, Mr. Prodigy."

~

Soon enough our chess boards were ready, of course Kosame had to help me set up my board. "Hey, if you can't even set up your board, how can you actually play?" I shrugged, "Things just come naturally to me, so that's why I get bored of them so easily." Kosame crossed his arms, "Oh really? How so?" I smiled, "Well, when I was four-years-old I knew how to ride my bike." Kosame frowned, "Same." I waved my pointer finger at him, "Tsk, tsk, that's not what I meant! In a day I learned how to ride my bike after watching my father." I smiled proudly; Kosame looked at me with an actual impressed reaction, "I learned how to ride my bike by myself, take that." I laughed, "Well, did you learn it in a day?"

"At least I didn't have daddy to teach me." Kosame shrugged, I twitched, "Oh yeah? Well, my father didn't even teach me! All he did was ride a bike and I followed him." Kosame tilted his head at me, "I didn't even have training wheels." I nodded, "Me too."

"You know, I can draw with both my left and right hand." Kosame had a conceited look, I scoffed, "I knew how to do that when I was seven!"

"I learned at six!" Kosame smiled, "Haha, I beat you!" I shook my head, "But..can you draw good?" Kosame paused, he looked at me with a defeated look. "You got me..." But he smiled again, "So it's 1 and 1, huh?" I nodded, "Yes, and you know what we'll have to do."

Kosame made his first move; I made my second. I looked up at him because of the strange choice he made. He had a completely different vibe from what he had just a minute ago. I have a feeling this guy wasn't joking when he said he was good... I'm dead, aren't I? I sighed in discouragement. Wait a minute... I paused. I'm not bad either, I just have to put my skills to the test. I felt a grin creep along my face. After many moves and several close calls, we made it to the last few pieces. I thought for a minute. Wait... This might be my chance! I smiled slyly and placed my hand confidently on my bishop, moving him closer to the Kosame's king. I immediately looked him in the eyes, expecting him to make an expression of dismay. But he only smiled back. For some reason, my smile turned to a frown. He was confusing me with his confidence, and I couldn't figure out why. He smiled at me with pity and then moved his hand over to one of his knights. He looked at me before moving it. I hesitated. "CRAP!" I nearly shouted. Kosame burst out laughing.