Chapter Forty-Four

The next morning, Emerson woke up early

The next morning, Emerson woke up early. She was eager to start the day, which she wanted to say that it was because she wanted to get started on her weekend course work but that wasn't the case at all. She wanted to see George, her boyfriend.

It felt strange to think that. George is my boyfriend. But it was a good type of strange. She could hold his hand and kiss him and hug him tighter than she could before. There was this feeling of giddiness welling up inside her.

Despite the urge to get up, Emerson stayed in bed. Bandit curled up on the pillow next to her head, nuzzling happily.

Emerson felt that things were going to get better for her this year. She had finally got her feelings for George out in the open. Course work was going well, and while it was stressful she was getting high marks. Watching Quidditch the day prior did make her miss it however, which was a struggle to admit.

In a few weeks Emerson would meet with Professor McGonagall to talk about her future after Hogwarts. She wasn't too concerned about it, after all she had already decided that she wanted to become a healer. However, it would likely cause stress as it meant she would actually have to prepare for it all.

When Angelina and Alicia both got up for the day, Emerson decided she should get up too. The team was planning on visiting Harry to check in and Emerson thought she would go too.

She spent extra time getting ready, carefully picking out a nice pair of jeans and a thick jumper. Angelina laughed as Emerson fussed with her hair in the mirror.

"Don't get all worried about how you look, Emery," Angelina said as she fixed her own braids. "It's just George, if he liked you while you're half asleep in your funky pajamas he'll like you today."

Emerson rolled her eyes. "Who said I'm getting ready for George?"

"Oooh are we talking about Emery's new boyfriend?" Alicia waggled her eyebrows as she returned back to the dorm from the bathroom. "It's cute and all but if I walk in on you two snogging I will throw up on you."

"We've kissed twice it was only a peck on the lips," Emerson told her. "Not even close to snogging."

"Y'know, Em," Angelina sat down on the bed and looked over at Emerson. "I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time about turning down Oliver. I acted very poorly."

"Don't worry about it," Emerson told her. She was serious, it wasn't that big of a deal anymore. there was a small part of her though that worried about what Oliver was going to this about her dating George. After all got very upset when she saw that she was sleeping in the twins dorm.

But Emerson pushed those thoughts out of her head as the three girls made their way down to the common room. George and Fred were already down on the couches, playing a game of Exploding Snap.

"Good morning," Emerson greeted them. The two boys turned around smiling, and as usual, Emerson found herself blushing.

"Morning, ladies," Fred said. They packed up their game quickly, and Emerson, Alicia, and Angelina sat down. "We're about to head to breakfast and then visit Harry."

They all agreed it was a good plan and got up to leave. Just as she was about to enter the portrait hole behind the rest of her friends, Emerson was pulled back and met face to face with George. Her boyfriend.

George leaned down and kissed Emerson without a word, cupping her face and pulling her close. For a moment, Emerson thought she was going to literally fall.

When they pulled apart, Emerson felt breathless. "Good morning to you too," she laughed airily. "What was that?"

"Well, I promised you I'd kiss you today," George smiled down at her. "It was a promise I intended to keep."

Emerson leaned up on her toes and kissed him again, a little more eager this time. But the timing of Alicia was perfect when she jumped to the portrait hole and gasped.

"Oi! I told you that if I walked in on you snogging I was going to throw up so prepare yourself!" She said loudly. "Now hurry your arses up so we can go see Harry."

The two stood still for a moment as Alicia disappeared, and George winked down at Emerson. "Snogging, eh?"

"Shush," Emerson shoved George gently. "We've been together less than twenty-four hours, most couples haven't even kissed yet."

The visit with Harry was quite grim. Everyone did the best to make him feel better, and Oliver depressingly reminded him that it wasn't his fault in the least bit that they lost the match, but nothing worked. It was clear that there was something bothering Harry besides the match and his broomstick.

As the Quidditch team and Emerson walked back to Gryffindor Tower, Oliver moped.

"He needs to get his spirits up before the next match. Who know's who we'll he up against, it could be the best or the worst," he said sullenly. "I need to make a new practice regime."

"Take a breather, Oliver," George told him lightly. "We have time before the next time we play, I'm sure Harry will cheer up before them."

Emerson and George were walking next to each other, their fingers intertwined. They weren't quite holding hands but their fingers were locked together.

"That's besides the point—what—," Oliver had turned around as he spoke, and he saw George and Emerson's hands immediately. From next to them, Fred rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"What?" Emerson asked, oblivious to what Oliver was gaping at. Then she looked down to where her fingers were hooked with George's. "Oh."

"Why are you two holding hands?" Oliver asked quickly. His pale cheeks were turning pink and it was although it was the most bizarre thing he's ever seen.

"Because we're together," Emerson told him. Oliver just continued to stare and everyone exchanged awkward eye contact.

Emerson hadn't talked to Oliver in a while, every since their argument about her not being in the Quidditch team. Oliver actually looked offended by the fact Emerson was holding hands with George.

"Don't let whatever this is get in the way of Quidditch," Oliver waved his hand at the two of them. "George needs to be at his best if we want to win the cup and we don't need you being a distraction."

Everyone gaped at Oliver, shocked by what he said. Emerson quickly became furious. She wouldn't be a distraction to George, if anything she would encourage him to work hard. Besides, what harm would having a girlfriend bring to Quidditch? It was entirely hypocritical as well. If Emerson had dated Oliver would she had been a distraction?

George grabbed Emerson's arm and pulled her back slightly. "Alright then, I'm going to get lunch with my distraction," he told Oliver harshly. Fred immediately walked towards then.

As they turned away, George scoffed. "What a git. Distraction? He's ridiculous."

"I'm sorry," Emerson told him.

While she was annoyed, she felt bad if it was going to cause problems. At the same time she also knew there was nothing wrong with dating George. She was happy, that's all that mattered.

"Actually you know what?" Emerson stopped in her tracks and put her hands on her hips. "I'm not sorry. Oliver's just being petty. He makes everything about himself or about Quidditch. How does you having a girlfriend effect you all winning the cup in anyway?"

George placed his hands on Emerson's shoulders. "It doesn't. You make me happy, Oliver's manic obsession isn't going to change that."

now that they're together, i legitimately have no idea what to write...whoops