Chapter Twenty-Two

George Weasley was annoyed

Angry was actually a better word for it. But he had to use all of strength not to show it as Oliver Wood sat in front him and Fred, venting.

"And I just like her so much but I don't think she realizes. And I keep on dropping hints and..."

Oliver went on and on, revealing his long time crush on Emerson, who at that moment was downstairs for her detention. It was only six o'clock, but Madame Pomfrey demanded she begin going to bed earlier to help with her pain, so her detention became earlier.

George just sat there in the common room, not knowing what to say. Next to him, Fred just looked confused. Neither of them could remember what started this conversation, all they knew now was that Oliver was rambling.

It wasn't the rambling that was bothering George, it was what Oliver was rambling about.

Emerson.

Everyone and their pet toad knew that Oliver was in love with Emerson. What George was secretly hoping was that Oliver would just give up and let his feelings go away. Emerson was clueless, there was no way she knew about Oliver's feelings. And she surely didn't know about George's.

It was a day last summer when George began to see Emerson differently. The day that they worked together in the garden chucking gnomes across the hedge. He remembered how her hair was the color of melted chocolate and her eyes shimmered like the ocean in the summer sunlight. Just her laugh itself made him happy as well as her childish attitude.

Then there was the Quidditch accident, when George looked down at Emerson's bruised and bloody face in horror. He had lied to her though, when he told her that all of her friends had been taking turns sleeping in the hospital wing. It was just him.

And then her birthday party. George spent days coming up with the perfect idea. Emerson had been through so much and she needed just one day where she didn't have to worry about anything. The smile on her face when she saw it all warmed his heart. The way she smelt of vanilla and orchids and coconut when she hugged him made him never want to let go.

Goerge knew eventually that he was going to tell Emerson how he felt but he didn't want it to be at school with all of their friends around. He wanted it to be personal.

But then Oliver fucking Wood had to come along.

"And her hair looks so soft and smells so good when you hug her..."

She uses coconut shampoo.

"...and the way she scrunches her nose when she's called Emerson..."

It makes her feel like she is in trouble.

"...and she is so selfless, you know, doesn't like receiving gifts..."

She does, but she wants them to be more personal and inexpensive.

Oliver sighed and leaned back into the couch he was sitting on. "I don't know what to do lads. She's just so perfect y'know?"