Chapter Twenty-Nine

Much to Emerson's happiness, the August was well on its way which meant that soon the Weasley's would be back from Egypt

Much to Emerson's happiness, the August was well on its way which meant that soon the Weasley's would be back from Egypt. Emerson was so tired of being home that she was tempted to walk to the Burrow herself, just to wait for them to get back. Her house was hot and stuffy, and she had finally found the horrible truth about Remus and Coralie.

The night before, Emerson couldn't sleep. The excitement she had about seeing George was beginning to bubble over into anxiety and it was keeping her wide awake. In addition to that, her back was beginning to ache again. After two hours she walked quietly downstairs to get something to drink, careful not to wake up her mother.

But as she stepped on to the floor between the living room and kitchen, Emerson saw that Coralie was in fact not sleeping and she was not alone.

Coralie and Remus sat on the couch side by side, arms wrapped around each other and their heads tilted into a kiss. They were oblivious to Emerson's standing there until she opened her mouth.

"What the bloody fuck?"

The two adults jumped sky high and quickly separated themselves as Emerson just stood there completely shocked.

"Emery! You startled me!" Coralie gasped as she clutched her chest. "What are you doing awake?" On the other side of the sofa, Remus looked like wanted to apparate away.

"What are you doing awake, Mum?" Emerson said back to her. Even in the dimness of the room she could see the flush of Coralie's face as she looked at Remus and stuttered.

Emerson didn't even know that Remus had come over, let alone was sneaking around with her like a horny teenager. She wasn't mad, just shocked and slightly hurt. Everett had died almost twelve years ago, it was perfectly fine for Coralie to see people. She was only thirty-two, Emerson didn't expect her to spend the rest of her life without a partner.

What hurt her was the fact that Coralie didn't tell Emerson that she was planning on seeing people. If she did know, she wouldn't have been so uptight about Remus being at her house almost everyday.  Emerson was surely happy for her mother but it was a lot to take in.

"How long has this been going on?" Emerson asked, gesturing between Coralie and Remus.

Now instead of surprised, Coralie looked guilty. "Since March."

Emerson was more hurt. Coralie had now been seeing someone for five months and Emerson had to find out by accident. "March? When were you planning on telling me?"

"Soon, dearest," Coralie walked towards her and put her hands on Emerson's shoulders. "We just weren't sure how to bring it up. This is all so new to us."

"I'm sorry, Emerson, that you had to find out this way," Remus said. He walked over and put his arm around Coralie. "I just love your mum very much."

Again, knowing that Coralie and Remus were together wasn't all that bad. Really it was the fact that Emerson had to find out by seeing them snog on the couch. It was not what she wanted to see in the middle of the night.