Chapter Forty-Nine

Unlike she expected, Emerson's feeling of sadness and betrayal didn't go away over night

Unlike she expected, Emerson's feeling of sadness and betrayal didn't go away over night. The next morning, she woke up exhausted and feeling drained. The second day, it was difficult to get out of bed and took away her appetite. Emerson felt pathetic for letting these feelings dictate her actions (the logical part of her brain however told her that it was fine).

Alicia and Angelina knew what Emerson was going through, so they were doing their best to give her support. Eventually they were the ones who dragged her out of bed and to their first period charms class.

George immediately knew that something was wrong. He saw the violet circles under Emerson's eyes and how her cheeks were puffier than usual. He tried to get Emerson to tell him what was wrong, but saw that every time she opened her mouth she seemed to get choked up.

On the third day, during after their last class, George decided that he wasn't going to allow Emerson to sit in silence anymore and let whatever was going on in her mind get the best of her. So George requested that she put on her jacket and boots and meet him outside Gryffindor Tower in ten minutes.

Emerson was well aware that George was worried about her. The only thing that she thought about was her mum and Remus and then Everett and his death. She thought about how Remus allowed Coralie to raise a child all by herself without offering any form of support. She thought about all of the lies.

While she knew she was going to wait to see if Coralie or Remus came forward to tell them the truth on their own, it wasn't going to stop Emerson from thinking about the hurt that she was feeling.

As Emerson pulled on her fluffy winter coat and her worn out boots, she thought about how she was going to tell George what was going on. She knew there wasn't going to be any judgement on his end and that he would still give her endless love. But this was a hard thing to talk about.

Outside of the Fat Lady's portrait, George stood bundled up in his jacket and Gryffindor scarf, looking very worried. When he saw Emerson, he opened his arms for a hug with small smile. Emerson took in George's forestry scent and smiled. It was like a small weight was being lifted from her body as George held her tight in his arms.

George pulled away and gave Emerson a gentle kiss on her forehead before taking her hand in his. "Ready, Love?" After receiving a small nod, George pulled Emerson along downstairs and towards the exit of the castle.

"Where are we going?" Emerson asked George as they walked out the doors of the castle.

"We're just going to go sit by the Black Lake and talk," George told her. "I know you're going through something and I think it might make you feel better to talk about it." Emerson nodded silently and followed George down the worn path that led to a tree on the bay of the lake.

It was quiet out, and Emerson only heard the sound of the snow crunching underneath their boots. For a December day, it was pleasantly warm and Emerson found  herself sweating a little underneath the warmths of her jacket. George seemed to feel the same way and shrugged off his jacket, where he laid it on the ground, sat down, and pulled Emerson down with him.

Emerson looked across the Black Late as she sat next to George. She felt a lot calmer being out here, though it didn't stop the racing thoughts inside of her head.

"So," George learned up against the tree and pulled his knees up to his chest. "What's going on? You've been different ever since you saw your mum."

Emerson looked down at the ground and blinked. She knew she was different, after all she just found out her teacher was her dad.

Taking a deep breath, Emerson spilled it all and explained what she heard Coralie and Remus say, how Snape knew, and how much emotional pain she felt about it. As she went on and on, George looked intently at Emerson, taking in everything she said to heart. 

George watched how Emerson's eyes welled up as she talked about Everett, and the way her eyebrows furrowed in irritation when she mentioned Remus. He saw her jaw tighten and her forward crease, and knew that talking about it was beginning to be too much for her.

He placed a hand on top of Emerson's that was placed on her knee and she looked up at him as a single tear dripped down her cheek. "It's okay, Em, you don't have to talk about it anymore if you don't want to."

Emerson nodded and took in a shaky breath. She leaned towards George, resting her head on his shoulder. "I'm just so sad. My mum and Remus lied to me. My father never knew that he wasn't my father. And our bloody potions professor knew before me."

George lifted up his hand and wiped away a stray tear with his thumb, and Emerson looked at George with complete and utter adoration. "I know you're upset. I know there's nothing that I can do to stop it, but remember that I will always listen."

Emerson looked down with a bashful smile, but George cupped her chin and made her look back at him.

"I love you, Emerson."

"I love you too, George."