Chapter Twenty-Eight

By the beginning of August, the heat was becoming too much to bear

By the beginning of August, the heat was becoming too much to bear. Any moment Emerson stepped outside she would break into a sweat. She refused to wear anything other than shorts and a t-shirt.

The boredom Emerson had been stuck with all summer continued to stay. She often found herself writing her friends longer letters than usual to spend the time and even getting a head start of reading for the school year. Emerson spent most of the time sitting in the family room in front of the air vent or just sleeping on the couch.

When the yearly Hogwarts letter came, it seemed to be a bigger deal to Coralie than Emerson. She didn't quite understand why, until Coralie began repeatedly asking "did you make Prefect?" Emerson surely was not surprised that she in fact did not receive the opportunity to be a Gryffindor Prefect in her fifth year. After all she did beat the daylights out of another student. Coralie seemed quite sad however, saying that having a Prefect title would be incredible when it came to looking for a job.

Again, Emerson didn't quite care. Having extra responsibilities meant extra time that she would be forced to give up when it came to course work. The only downside was not being able to use the Prefect's bathroom.

It was one of Coralie's days off and Emerson was very excited to head to Diagon Alley and spend some time together. Often they would get ice cream and look at all of the cool things in the Quidditch shop.

Emerson had been laying on the floor in the family room in front of the air conditioning vent with Bandit curled up next to her. The gentle hum of the flowing air was soothing, making Emerson dangerously close to falling asleep right there on the floor. But then the front door creaked open, and Emerson lifted her head from the ground.

Remus stood in the doorway, shrugging off his coat and hanging it onto the coat rack. He was wearing long sleeved clothing, which had Emerson completely baffled. At the sight of him, Bandit hissed and scurried off. It was safe to say that the cat did not like Remus.

"Hello, Emerson," Remus smiled warmly as he headed towards the kitchen. "Is your mother home?"

The first thought that came to Emerson's head was did this man really walk into my house without knocking? She kept that thought to herself as she got up from the floor, groaning at the slight ache in her back. "She's in her bedroom."

A few moments later, Coralie emerged from her bedroom. Her blonde curls were pulled back neatly and she wore a pretty blue sundress. Honestly, she looked like she was going on a date. Behind her, Remus came out. He also was dressed very nicely.

"Where are you off to dress so nicely?" Emerson raised her eyebrow at her mother, who sheepishly grinned.

"Well we are all going to Diagon Alley, remember? You've to get your school things. And you definitely need to get fitted for new robes." Coralie told her as she slipped on a pair of sandals. "Remus and I might get a bite to eat while you're shopping."