Chapter 11 - Unveiled

I couldn't stop thinking about what Yasuo had said about people dying if they tried to leave Yomiyama. And my dad was saying we should move away...

But I couldn't tell my dad about the curse, he wouldn't believe me. I considered telling Clarissa, but decided against that too. She was overworked enough, with so much going on and being no closer to halting the curse for our school year. One more issue might break her. And besides, Yume told me to look after Clarissa, not make her worse.

I debated telling Riku but couldn't bring myself to. His mood had changed so much since everyone stopped ignoring him; I couldn't bring him down.

What didn't make matters any better for my nerves was that my friendship group had planned a trip to the mall. We were such a small, quaint town, I didn't even realise we had such a thing. Sometimes, I'd survey the streets and buildings around me and feel like if travelled back in time. Modernisation wasn't something Yomiyama had welcomed.

Shopping trips weren't something I was too familiar with, especially with a group of friends and no adult supervision. Shopping trips with friends were normal for teenagers to enjoy and experience, but my childhood had made me unable to grasp that.

My dad was on edge that morning, which didn't help my nerves. His fingers were tapping together, his breath was hitched. He stayed glued to his paper map of Japan as I left.

Since everyone lived scattered across Yomiyama, we decided to meet up at the school and make our way to the shopping centre together.

"Hi!" I said, putting on my most cheerful voice. I arrived last. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

"I only just got her myself," Yuki told me.

Ai smiled, standing on her tiptoes so she and Yuki were (almost) at eye-level. "And Yuki-chan looks very nice in her outfit!"

"But not as beautiful as you," Yuki beamed at Ai.

It was weird to see the coloured shirts and denim and boots that weren't school uniform, but it felt refreshing to see everyone in their own clothes. Their personal touches.

"Okay, when you two have finished, we can head off to the shopping centre," Clarissa smirked at Ai and Yuki. "My mother is going to drive me, Akira-kun and Tsuki-san home. Ai-san and Yuki-san, are you two sure that you want to walk home?"

Yuki nodded. "Ai-chan gets really bad travel sickness."

Ai agreed. "Just the THOUGHT of cars can make Ai-chan feel sick. It's not nice!"

Clarissa grinned, and then faced Riku. Her smile didn't waver. "Would you like us to take you home too?"

Riku looked shocked, as if he had forgotten that he was no longer invisible. "Oh! Uh... Sure. Thanks."

The shopping centre was made mainly of sparkling glass framed by white, I could see the elevators by the windows, and inside looked crowded. Ai took over since she had been plenty of times before. Bright lights shone from the ceiling and the floor was clean. There seemed to be something for everyone; clothes shops, chocolate and confectionery stands, an electronic store, manga and anime, stationery, and a huge food hall.

Ai's face lit up when she saw the shops laid out before her, and clapped her hands. "Ai-chan has been here so many times, yet the vast amount of opportunities thrill Ai-chan every time!"

"Wow, look at Tsuki," Akira grinned. "She looks like she's never been to a shopping centre before. You really lived a sheltered life, huh?"

I managed a weak smile. "Something like that." I suddenly became ashamed of my strict curfew and lack of socialisation with people my age. My silence had spoken for me.