Chapter 22 - My Murders

I somehow managed to sprint out of the room, Riku, Akira and Clarissa all following me. I could hear Yuki yell my name, and everyone else's voices echoing behind us, motivating me to just keep running.

"Here," Riku pushed open a door, and we had to sprint back to join him. It was a bedroom. Akira and Riku pushed the chest of drawers in front of the door.

"I don't how much time we have," Akira spoke between breaths. "But we need to get out of here."

Clarissa's cheeks were covered in tears. "I'm so sorry," they whispered, sitting on the bed, "this is all my fault..."

"Clarissa-chan, you've done nothing wrong," Akira said, sitting next to them. "It's not like you're the dead on."

Nobody said anything.

I watched Riku open the glass doors and survey the balcony.

"If we try, we may be able to climb the vine up," he wondered.

Akira joined us. "If they're trying to kill us, wouldn't it make more sense to climb DOWN the vine? To get away from this place?"

Clarissa nodded, still sat down. "Go, you haven't much time."

"Clarissa-san, you're coming too," I told her.

Clarissa shook their head. "They want me dead. If I stay here, you guys will be able to get away."

"Clarissa-chan, you're coming too!" Akira cried. "There's no way you're being left behind. Don't play the part of the hero."

We were all jolted out of our thoughts by a loud bang on the door.

"I know you're in there!" Yasuo's voice shouted furiously. I could tell he was throwing the whole of his body at the door.

I rushed forwards and grabbed Clarissa's hand. "You're coming with us."

I pulled them to their feet. They were violently shaking.

"I'll go first to check if it's safe," Riku said hurriedly.

"Maybe we should head in different directions?" I suggested. "That way we'll be less easy to capture."

"There's no way any of us are going alone," Akira said sternly.

Riku and I took the vine at the left, and Akira and Clarissa grabbed the vine at the right.

"It seems strong enough," Riku tugged at the thick stem. "It will support us if we're quick."

Riku jumped onto the balcony fence, steadying his balance, before placing his feet on the wall and pulling himself up.

"OPEN THIS DOOR!!!" Yasuo yelled.

I turned around, and I could see the drawers had been pushed out of their place. Ten more seconds, and Yasuo would be in the room.

"Tsuki-cchi!"

Riku had already reached the balcony above and was waiting for me. I checked where Akira and Clarissa were, and they had already made their way to the balcony below. Why had they gone a different way?!

I heard the sound of the door open and the chest of drawers being knocked out of position. Knowing full well that I'd regret doing so, I turned to look.

Yasuo was stood there, almost growling like a hungry wolf in search of prey. Then he laid his eyes on me, and grinned like he was an evil, cartoon villain.

I suddenly found myself frozen to the spot, paralysed with fear.

Yasuo raise the brick in his hand. "Send the dead back to death!"