Chapter 19 - Dead One

We were all stunned with what we had just heard. I could feel my heart accelerating at an alarming rate. Clarissa's face had grown pale with worry, Riku kept his head down and his eyes shut as he shook his head, and Akira just stared at the CD player.

I leant back in my seat. "So... The extra student must be killed."

I didn't mean to be 'that' person. But somebody had to say it.

"So... The extra student is dead, and it's our job to kind out who they are and kill them?" Akira summaried.

"But it could be anyone," I sighed. "And for us to commit a murder..."

Akira folded his arm and leant back in his chair. "But...how do we know who is the dead one?"

"We don't!" Clarissa sighed, throwing their arms in the air. "There are NO clues whatsoever! This calamity alters memories. Not even the dead person knows that they're dead."

Clarissa looked upwards before closing their eyes and exhaling deeply. I could tell that they was desperately trying to come up with another plan. They was trying to think of a solution which would involve murder.

They were looking for false hope.

"All we know is that the dead student is one of the victims who died due to the calamity years before," I said.

Akira paused. "...Well, can't we just check through the old records and find matching names, then"

"Nope," Clarissa responded coldly, opening their eyes, standing, and pacing the floor. "The calamity- no, this CURSE, alters written documents as well as memories."

Akira rolled his head back and groaned. "Brilliant..."

Clarissa continued their pacing. I knew they was going to wear themselves out, both physically and mentally.

"Clarissa-san, you're making me dizzy, come sit down," I motioned.

Clarissa stopped pacing, but they didn't sit down. They clenched her their . I could see that they was furious and hurt that there was nothing we could do to avoid killing someone ourselves.

I knew the four of us couldn't figure this problem out alone. Especially since it involved all our other classmates. They all deserved to know the dilemma.

"Clarissa-san," I said slowly, "you know, we're going to have to tell everyone else about this..."

"I know," Clarissa sighed, finally taking their seat. "Damn, I wish we hadn't found that STUPID recording..."

"We can't tell them straight away, though," Riku said. "We have no idea what their reaction will be. They may start making accusations or jump to unfair conclusions."

I nodded at Riku, but I didn't fully agree with what he was saying... All we needed was to talk to the rest of the class, figure who was dead, and then take it from there. Yes, it sounded scary, but there was nothing else that could be done. Essentially, only one more death needed to take place, and then everyone else would be safe...

I paused, and shook my head. I could hardly believe what I was thinking... This was a topic which we couldn't take lightly. I couldn't just throw the word 'death' around like it was nothing... The thought of dying scared me inside, and to think that someone in our class would have to die KNOWING that they were responsible for the deaths of all the others... What worried me even more was that I could be the dead one.

What if I was?

Akira stood up. "Clarissa-chan, let's go home."

"I have to stay here!"