Chapter 17 - School Trip

"I spoke to Chibiki-Sensei this morning to ask him what the school was thinking, sending us out of town when this calamity is still lurking," Clarissa told me, their arms crossed as they snarled angrily at Chibiki-Sensei.

Just then Akira came up to us, rubbing his hands together, trying to keep them warm.

"You two ladies okay?" He asked. He looked at Clarissa.  "Lady and companion, I should say."

"I hope so, Akira-kun," Clarissa sighed, adjusting their glasses slightly. "I just hope nothing happens to any of our class members whilst we're trying to leave town."

"Clarissa-chan, once we get out of town, the curse won't be able to hurt us." Akira gently placed his hand on Charisse's arm. "It's just the getting out of town part which is the trickiest."

"But if anything bad happens, it will be my fault," Charisse whispered, looking down. "It's going to be on my conscious... I'm the head of countermeasures..."

"Clarissa-chan, you can't be blamed for anything that happens, you can't control the calamity."

"Okay, head count, please!" Chibiki-Sensei called out.

We all crowded around, and Chibiki-Sensei took the register. He frowned when he reached Ai's name, and looked out.

"Is Matsuda-san still in the bathroom with Sakurai-san?"

"Yes," Ran groaned. "Those two had better not make us late."

"Ai-chan can't help feeling sick," Cho told Ran.

"Ai-chan feels sick?" I asked.

Cho turned to face me. "Yes, Ai-chan gets terrible travel sickness. Even the THOUGHT of a motor vehicle can get her throwing up."

Just as Chibiki-Sensei finished taking the register, Ai and Yuki appeared. Ai looked a little green, her hands over her forehead.

"Are you feeling any better, Matsura-san?" Chibiki-Sensei asked.

"She's worried that if she opens her mouth she'll be sick again," Yuki told everyone.

Ai nodded, pointing to her mouth, which was remaining clamped shut.

"Well, Matsura can sit at the front, and everyone else can get into pairs and make your way to the minibus."

So I was sat next to Riku, Clarissa and Akira were to our right.

"Let us all pray," Jiro said in a hushed voice, clasping his hands together.

"God isn't going to help us in this situation," Hirohito yelled, scoffing.

"Have a little faith," Jiro closed his eyes and muttering under his breath.

Makoto, who had brought a reading book out of his bag, glanced over at Jiro. "This book I've been reading about holds a lot of religious factors—"

"Anyone want candy?" Yemon produced a paper bag from his pocket.

"How can you eat candy at a time like this?" Yasuo asked.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die happy," Yemon explained briefly, producing a sweet in a purple wrapper.

Akira spun around in his chair, glaring at Yemon. "Be quiet! Have some respect!"

Clarissa turned to face me. Since Riku and Akira were sat by the windows, Clarissa and I could talk easier.

"We'll be okay," I tried not to show my paranoia. But in truth, I was terrified. What is something happened to one of us, and Auntie Mai believed it was her fault? I didn't want anyone to die...