Flashback 5

"You're moving away?" Mai gasped in horror as she watched her friend's parents packing boxes into the boot of the car.

"I'm sorry," the boy told her. "My father's job means we have to move across the country."

"So you'll be attending a new school..." Mai said glumly, looking down. She knew it was wrong to think selfishly, especially when this was a brilliant opportunity for their family, but it still hurt her. "Will we ever see each other again?"

"I... I don't know," the boy replied honestly. He looked heartbroken. "I don't even know what high school I may attend now, we're going to be moving so often that it will be hard to keep track... But I know for sure that fate will bring us together again."

"As soon as I can, I'll get out of this place and find you," Mai promised, looking up. Her eyes were now fill of determination. "I'll buy a campervan and I'll tour Japan, looking for you!"

The boy smiled sadly. "You're too kind to me. Once I reach my new home, I'll send you a letter right away! Then you'll have my new address and we can write letters every week."

Mai could feel tears forming in her eyes. She hurriedly tried to wipe them away. It felt so foolish to be so worked up over something so small. Well, it wasn't small in that moment. This was the worst thing to ever happen to her.

"Just promise me when you bump into a new girl at the front of your new school building that you'll be nice to her," Mai said with a sad giggle.

The boy smiled sadly. "There won't BE another girl. Take-cchi, I'll never find anybody like you."

"But we're still so young, you may meet someone else..."

"Take-cchi, now I've met you, I don't even want to LOOK at another girl."

The boy grabbed her hands. Mai managed a weak smile. Her heart didn't know whether to jump for joy to tear itself apart.

"Mai, I promise one day we will be reunited," the boy said confidently. "We WILL find each other again. I really like you, Mai. Promise me you'll stay safe."

"I'll survive this calamity just for you, Fu-kun," Mai gave a single nodded. "Then I will be your girlfriend! I'll save my first kiss just for you to take."

"It would be my greatest honour," the boy beamed. "In the meantime we shall exchange letters, and once the year is over, we'll find each other again in the school holidays. Then you can be my girlfriend, I'll hug you tight, and I'll never let you go. We'll reunite and fall in love all over again!"

The two young lovers gazed at each other for a moment. Finally the boy stepped back and released Mai's hands from his gloved grip.

The boy climbed into the back of the car, and began to wind the window down. He gave Mai a big grin.

"See you around, Mai."

Mai nodded. "See you around, Riku."