Chapter 13 - Back To School

Two o'clock in the morning. My mind felt like it was both full of thoughts, yet completely empty at the same time. I felt tired, yet I couldn't drop off to sleep.

I reached over and grabbed my phone, typing out a quick message.

'Hey, are you awake?'

My thumb hovered over the send button. It was the middle of the night. Of course Clarissa wouldn't be awake! What was I thinking? I'd only wake her up and trouble her. I deleted the message and continued tossing and turning. I don't know why, but I didn't feel like talking to Riku at that moment.

I decided to head back to school the next week. Clarissa let me know that the midterm exams were set for that week, and I didn't want to fall behind everyone else, despite having no hardly any revision for them.

We were allowed to wear summer uniform now; boys didn't have to wear their jackets, and the girls could wear the black dress and a white blouse. I knew the girls were encouraged to wear short-sleeved blouses for the summer heat, but I still settle for my long-sleeved one.

Mai had to wake me up since I slept through my alarm three times. She made me breakfast which I ate slowly (but managed to finish it so she wasn't disappointed), before walking me to school.

"Do you need me to pick you up after school?" Mai asked me.

I shook my head. "I'll just walk home. I'll text you when I'm on my way."

Mai nodded. We reached the school gates. "Did they rebuild the school?"

"Oh... I have no idea."

"It looks like it - that building looks new, but maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me," Mai shrugged the thought away. "Anyway, good luck on your midterm exams!"

"Thank you," I smiled. I bowed to my aunt out of respect and gratitude before heading to the school building and up to my classroom.

As soon as I slid open the door, I barely had time to take in my surroundings before a short bundle of joy had thrown her arms around me.

"Tsuki-chan!" Ai cried. "Ai-chan is so pleased that you're back!"

I patted Ai on the back gently, smiling. "It's great to be back."

"Ai-chan really missed you," Yuki smiled at me after Ai had broken the hug. "Of course everyone did."

"Clarissa-san and Riku-kun did the most!" Ai told me.

Cho, Jira and Yasuo were in the classroom too. The three students who I hadn't really spoken to, but they came up to me, shaking my hands and giving me condolences.

"Takeda-san, I'm sorry for your loss," Cho told me timidly, taking hold of my hands in her own.

"It will take a while, but you'll feel much better after you've had time to get over everything," Jiro said sympathetically. "Think spiritually, and trust in the power of prayer."

"And the whole class will be here to support you, no matter what," Yasuo put his hand on my shoulder.

It astounded me that I had barely spoken to these students before, but they were being so kind. I knew that Yasuo had experienced a loss with Hisoka. It made me tear up badly, and Ai passed me her packet of tissues. She told me I could keep them.

As the class began filling up, everyone came up to me, offering supporting and wishing me well. Ran passed me a bar of chocolate (which surprised me greatly), Yemon handed me a card of well wishes, Makoto ruffled my hair in comfort, and even Hirohito nodded to me.

Akira came into the classroom, saw me, and held me at arm length and made me promise to talk to him if I ever had any worries, since he had been through similar before. I promised him.