the articles

an article by Sandra May for Illea Today

Immediately following Thursday's announcement of Her Royal Highness, Princess Charlotte's Selection, I had the opportunity to sit down with the woman of the hour herself and talk to her about this upcoming trial in her life. We met up in the morning tea room, my favorite room to conduct interviews in the palace. It boasts comfortable armchairs and has the most lovely view of the east gardens. Princess Charlotte of course looks comfortable in the same pale blue dress she wore on The Report to announce her selection.

Of course, while the Selection doesn't come as a complete surprise to the nation, it wasn't supposed to be Princess Charlotte at the middle of it all. Princess Helena was supposed to be the one to partake in this time honored tradition, but with her elopement to Prince Enzo of Brazil, the mantle has fallen to the younger princess.

Most Selections occur when the Royal is between the ages of 18 and 22 but with the situation being what it was, Princess Charlotte felt it was more important to focus on learning at her father's side how to run the country, putting the country first. But now, he has deemed her ready and it is time to find Princess Charlotte love. So read on as we ask some questions before the Selection process even gets started.

First let me just say thank you for meeting up with me. It's always a pleasure to see you, your highness.

H.R.H.: Of course, Sandra! Thank you so much for meeting with me. I used to read all of your interviews [from before] and I knew instantly that you were the right one to invite here.

Awe, well thank you so much! I'm so honored! So tell us princess, what is it like knowing 35 eligible bachelors are all going to be vying for your attention?

H.R.H.: Honestly? It's almost a little terrifying. It's been so long since I've been on a date, over six years to be exact. So I'm not exactly in the dating game and now to have 35 suitors at once? It's definitely intimidating.

How did you choose to hold a Selection? Was it something you always wanted or was it something that came about because of protocol?

H.R.H.: It's always been upheld that those who should lead the country should marry one of the country. My father did, his father before that and so on. I had no intention of breaking that tradition when I stepped up as heir.

And will you be taking a step back from your duties as heir during the Selection?

H.R.H.: A bit, maybe? I'm really not expecting to have to step back at all but at the same time I really do want to get to know each of the men. It'll be a delicate balance to be sure.

Will you see any of the applications ahead of time? Will you be picking any suitors for yourself?

H.R.H.: No, not at all. The first time I'll learn their names is on the Live Report when I draw their names.

So you're saying it's entirely anonymous? All by chance?

H.R.H.: We'll of course there's a vetting process. A panel will be going through the applications and running background checks but from there, yes, everything is fate.

And what are you looking for in a man? What does your perfect Prince Charming look like?

H.R.H.: Oh, that is a really difficult question. I mean, ideally I would like someone to be my partner. Someone who can stand by my side and support me and of course, make me laugh.