"as if i should be here"

L E V I

round one ||

december 11th

[ 7:15 PM ]

I shove the extra tools, along with every dirty cloth I can find, in the closet. I shut the door, hearing it all fall against it. I grimace but walk away. That'll be a nice surprise for the boys to find tomorrow. Luckily, it'll happen when we just open so it'll just be them.

My phone dings in my pocket. I ignore it.

It'll only be Abri. I'm assuming she's sitting at home on the couch, eating out of a container of ice cream with her lucky spoon —which is twice the size of a normal spoon— watching the Report. She didn't ask if I could watch it with her, as if she already guessed my answer; an immediate no. I'm glad she didn't, sparing me in seeing her disappointment.

The whole thing with the selection is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous that those who didn't wish to get in had to write one anyway. Abri found that exciting though, the fact that I was forced to write about myself on paper. The only thing she found annoying was that I wouldn't let her read mine after I had finished. I sent it in before she could get the chance.

Another ding.

Once again, I ignore it.

She told me as I left she would be telling me the names of everyone who got in as she found out. Not that they would mean anything to me or her, but I think it's her way of keeping me included, just in case I get in.

I push the creeper seat in its place. I already know I won't be getting in. She has her hopes up for no reason, but maybe that's all she needs. The thought that I could be getting in, the thought that I could fall in love, and that may be what is keeping her hoping, because she's my little sister so there's no way she has that much belief that someone like me would get in. She's much more logical than that.

But I indulge her. As much as I can. Once it's all over, we don't need to talk about it.

Everything in the garage is put away. I pull out the axial motorcycle engine I've been keeping to work on. It needs to be seriously cleaned, and there's no time like now. I shove the engine on the wooden table and grab a rag to start wiping my hands.

Another two texts from Abri.

I flip on the light switch connected to the table, giving me some extra light. I clean each valve, each cylinder, each crevice I can find, keeping myself occupied for forty minutes. By the time I look at my phone, it's past eight, with the Report well over. I delete Abri's text off my homescreen, not wanting to read them. I'll be heading back soon so there isn't any need for me to read any of them since she'll be wanting to talk about it as soon as she sees me.

A door opens and closes in the garage.

I perk up immediately. I turn my head to listen for any other sounds, but so far everything remains quiet. I pick up a torque wrench that's laying on the table and squeeze it tightly. I hear footsteps and I stand. I watch the door that the intruder would most likely come in, and I just about chuck the wrench across the room when I spot my sister.

She struts into the room, completely disregarding the wrench I have in my hand. She shrugs off her black leather jacket and drapes it over her shoulder. "A torque wrench? Really?" she asks in disbelief, standing across from me. "What were you gonna do, wail it at me?"

I drop it on the table. "Maybe."

"You would have missed." She takes my seat.

I turn to her. "What are you doing here? I was just about to come back."