reading the articles

L E V I + A B R I

"Immediately following Thursday's announcement of Her Royal Highness, Princess Charlotte's Selection, I had the opportunity to sit down with the woman of the hour herself and talk to her about this upcoming trial in her life," I read the beginning of the interview very loudly, catching the attention of every male in the garage. Even Kevin, who's supposed to be in his office, has his ears perked up.

The only person who doesn't look interested is Levi, who is hiding behind all the extra parts along the wall. I know he's only distracting himself so he doesn't listen to me, but that's why I'm reading very loudly.

"Princess Charlotte, of course, looks comfortable in the same pale blue dress she wore on The Report to announce her selection." I watch for Levi's reaction, but his head is still turned, and he's doing his best not to listen.

I skip the rest of the boring part, wanting to get right to the part where the princess is talking. I skim the rest, feeling the penetrating eyes on me from every male. Most of the dudes here had to send in their application, but something tells me half of them didn't mind it. They would all deny it though.

"Aha, here we go," I murmur to myself, finding the part where Princess Charlotte is talking. "So tell us princess, what is it like knowing 35 eligible bachelors are all going to be vying for your attention?" I grin to myself. Sandra knows the questions we all want the answers to.

Every guy is glued to the answer that I read way louder than I need to, just to make sure Levi is listening, "Honestly? It's almost a little terrifying. It's been so long since I've been on a date, over six years to be exact. So I'm not exactly in the dating game and now to have 35 suitors at once? It's definitely intimidating," I finish the answer, then watch as Levi makes his way to the car he's working on. "One thing you have in common, Levi! You're both out of the dating game!"

He ignores me.

That earns a few snickers.

I carry on.

"Will you see any of the applications ahead of time? Will you be picking any suitors for yourself?" I read Charlotte's answer, "No, not at all. The first time I'll learn their names is on the Live Report when I draw their names."

Levi wipes his forehead with the back of his hand, leaving a smudge of grime. He seems focused on his current task. I keep reading.

"So you're saying it's entirely anonymous? All by chance?"

Her answer surprises me.

"Well of course there's a vetting process. A panel will be going through the applications and running background checks but from there, yes, everything is fate."

It's all fate. I glance at Levi.

His eyes have dropped to the ground.

He's listening.

I read the next question.

I tighten the bolt. I try to stay focused. Abri has been bugging me all week to listen to these articles, and no matter how many times I've told her no, she still insists I should. "You should know what you're getting into, if you get in," she says, or something along those lines. She's tried all the variations of excuses and reasons to get me to listen. None of them have worked. So now she's choosing to read it in front of everyone, as if she knew everyone else would like to listen, when in reality, it's all for me.

It's all for me.

It shouldn't be. Whatever she said about fate, it's wrong. If I get in, it's not fate. It'd be hell. And it's a lie. It's not anonymous. Which is why I know I'm not getting in. Who would choose me, with my background, with my history, for a princess? No one in their right mind would. Not that I mind. I'd rather they choose someone who the princess would actually need instead of an orphaned mechanic in a small town in Calgary.