my hero

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round nine ||

March 18th

8:30am

"Charlotte, I'm really sorry but I need to talk to you," Audrey says, coming up to my side. I almost jump, surprised to find her there. But what surprises me even more is Audrey standing there, looking frazzled and with Madisyn the intern, and Breslin, my brother's personal assistant.

"What's up Audrey?" I ask, smiling at the Selected as they file past me. We just finished up breakfast and Bowie and I had gotten into a very heated conversation about the newest fad in green energy. I think the newest solar panels look like a good investment but Bowie is questioning the ethical sources of the company actually making them. It was fun. But the look on Audrey's face tells me that my fun day is about to come to an end. Uh-oh. "What's wrong?"

"Everything's falling apart," Audrey sighs and is that tears I see in her eyes? Audrey only cries when she's extremely frustrated and at dog movies. "The florist says there's a rose shortage and they're spotty, three of the pocket orchestra slipped and broke some bone or another and Vincenzo died."

"Vincenzo died?" I gasp, turning on my heel to look at her. "When? How did we not know?"

"A day ago," Audrey looks genuinely sad. She should be. Vincenzo was the best caterer and made the best cake in the tri-province area. "I'm sorry, I know you're busy with everyone, but everything is falling apart and—"

"And you need help. No problem, I'm glad you came to me," I tell her honestly. I hold my hand out and she hands me her palm pilot full of the plans. I sigh and take a moment to look through it before looking up at the three. "Okay, Madisyn, congrats you have a promotion. Go to Vincenzo's family, take a huge flower arrangement, and offer to take care of everything. Funeral arrangements, money to keep the business floating while they mourn, whatever they need. They were loyal citizens and friends and we will treat them as such. Nothing is too much."

"You got it," Madisyn nods and just before she leaves I catch her by the arm.

"Just if you have questions—"

"Clear it through Audrey, got it." Madisyn nods and turns, ready to do as I instructed, I presume.

I nod and turn back to Brelin. "Okay, Breslin, you are on flowers. My parents had white roses at their wedding, they have had white roses at every anniversary ball and they will at this one too. And not weak wimpy, half blooms. I want real white roses. Find them, somewhere, anywhere, find them."

"Got it." Breslin nods and takes notes frantically.

I can only assume that he's on the case so I turn back to Audrey. "Okay, talk to me about what else needs done."

"I failed you," Audrey moans as she walks beside me. "I'm so sorry. You've been so busy with the guys and I was supposed to be taking care of everything. And then I just got so busy with all of your normal meetings and other things and I just—"

"Audrey, it's fine," I cut off my friend. "I completely forgot about it too. But from now until next Thursday, it's me, you and our planning shoes."

"Roger that." Audrey shakes her head.

"Okay," I say with a sigh. "What else needs done?"

"Well, we need to find a new caterer, a new band, to finalize the guest list, figure out where everyone will be, the table settings, make sure the guys are outfitted, make sure your gown is right," she lists everything and I realize something. The guys. They're going to be here during the anniversary ball. Oh geez. My entire family comes in for it and they are going to be here for it. It's going to be a lot. They'll need support.