"casualty of being in the Coast Guard, i suppose"

L E V I

round seven ||

february 20th

[ 3:45 PM ]

"How is it that Onyx took over our video call?" I mutter, propping up the laptop on the couch as I crouch down on the floor. When I grab the laptop to settle it back on my lap, Abri's screen changes back to her face and I hear Onyx yell in protest.

"That's a great question, brother dear, maybe Onyx can answer that question himself?" Her sentence takes a turn in tone as she ends with a yell toward our friend. I hear his laughter in the background until he squeezes into view next to Abri.

"I have an excuse, okay?" he starts, taking the laptop from Abri. "I don't get to see you every week and Abri does, so I figured fair is fair."

Abri swats him over the head. "I'm the sister."

"And I'm the stunningly handsome coworker. I take priority." The screen moves again as the laptop settles onto Onyx's lap. Abri takes a seat next, scowling at him, while he continues to ignore her.

I can only grin at the two of them.

Onyx showed up out of nowhere and immediately took over our conversation. Abri was only telling me about school and her latest annoying classmate, and although Onyx wormed his way into it, thus taking over Abri, I was glad to see him. His shaggy hair has grown, and he still wears his muscle shirts that are always full of grease stains. I know working at the garage is his life, but I'm happy he took the time to see me.

"You haven't made any better friends than me, right, Levi?" Onyx asks after Abri gave up trying to take the laptop from him. Instead of scowling, she is now leaning her head on his shoulder and has grabbed a book while the two of us talk.

"Oh, tons. You wouldn't believe." I adjust my seating. "They actually go to the gym with me." I give him a teasing look.

Onyx glares. "Listen, just because I don't like waking up at that ungodly hour doesn't mean that I wouldn't do it. I go to the gym, man, just not at the hours when I should be curled up with my blanket, snoring my head off."

Next to him, Abri rolls her eyes.

"You could get used to it."

"Yeah, I don't want to. Besides, you aren't even here to go to the gym with me, so I'm safe in you getting me to do it with you again. At least until you get back. Unless..." a sly look comes over his face, "you don't come back. I hear from Abri you and the princess are getting pretty chummy over there. Have you proposed yet?"

"I wish," Abri mumbles, turning the page of her book.

I send her a glare but she's not paying attention. "You're not helping," I say to her and she sticks her tongue out at me. "And I don't know what Abri has said, but we're definitely not anywhere close to a proposal."

"My parents knew the first time they met." Onyx raises his brows.

I nod. "And good for them. I don't work that way."

"Why not?"

"Complicated family history," I mutter, looking away before focusing back on the screen.

Abri's eyes flicker away from her book for a second before focusing back on it.

Onyx nods. "Right. Sorry, man, I wasn't meaning to be insensitive." He grimaces.

I shrug. "All good. But if you are ready to marry someone, you should have got selected, man. She could be all yours."