"you're asking me if i love her"

L E V I

round fourteen ||

june 19th

[ 1:12 AM ]

BARD

The castle is quiet.

After a full day of travel, I was ready to collapse as soon as we made it back. My thoughts were consumed by Charlotte and Levi saying goodbye, and I couldn't deny a part of me was sad she had to leave. I remember the anger I felt at Levi at the beginning of the visit, and how I immediately softened by the end of the first day. I know him, and I know what he struggles with when it comes to Charlotte, and a part of me understood where he was coming from, even if I didn't want to admit it.

But they'll all be back in a few days. The Selection is almost over. I still can't believe it's come down to the three of them, and that it has hardly been six months since the beginning of the Selection. Everything has come so far.

And yet, there's still so much to get through. Charlotte will have to be making the biggest decision of her life, and it all comes down to the three guys left. And King Will won't make it easy on any of them. I heard they are already planning interviews for the men as soon as they come back, a sit down with the King himself and Prince Philip.

I step foot into the kitchen and open the fridge. I spot a ready made plate inside, full of meat, veggies, and rice, and I place it into the microwave, waiting tiredly for it to heat up. I lean against the counter, listening to the whirring of the machine until it beeps, alerting me of its finalization. I open the door and carefully set down the steaming contents onto the table, taking a seat.

Realizing I need a drink of water and utensils, I stand, walking over to the cabinet.

Feet suddenly come into the kitchen, its padding sounding alerting me. The kitchen is still dark, so I only see a short figure in the entryway, but then they flick on the light, and for a moment, I'm blinded. But as soon as my eyes adjust, I see it's Wynnie, an empty mug in her hand. She stands there, in a state of shock at seeing me.

My face breaks into a smile, now feeling a bit of energy that had been lacking all day. "Wyn," I greet, gripping the cup in my hand.

She still says nothing, only takes me in. A slow smile crawls across her face before she's crossing the room, crushing me into a hug. I am not expecting it, but my arms still find their way around her as well, holding her tight.

"I missed you, too," I whisper into her hair.

Her grip tightens.

She pulls away just enough for me to see her face. Her eyes are glued onto me, and before I can do or say anything, she has pressed her lips onto mine.

It startles me more than anything. It's a soft kiss, one I would expect from Wynnie, but I find myself stumbling away from the kiss, and all it could bring, to come face to face with her fallen expression, one that rips at me with guilt. My back hits the counter, and I wince from the pain. Wynnie doesn't move, only watches me, and I know she wants to explain. But no words leave her mouth.

"I, uh—" I cut myself off, wanting to explain myself.

She turns to leave.

My feet move, and my arms outstretched, grasping onto her arm, pulling her to face me. We're back where we started, back close together, except this time I initiated it. Wynnie won't meet my eyes, not until I take liberties and lift her chin with my hand. In her gaze, I find the same fear I know she sees in my eyes.