it was never supposed to be me

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round one ||

November 27th

11:42 pm

"Are you insane?" Hellie's tinny voice rings out into the night, making me wince in pain.

Whenever she raises her voice like this, I can't help but wince. It's her older sister's voice, her Princess voice. And I hate it when she directs it at me.

"What?" I ask, already exasperated with the conversation. The same conversation I've had all day, ever since the announcement was made.

"A Selection? And you're making it mandatory?" Hellie squints at me. She's complained a few times that she can't see me clearly enough, but what does she expect? I'm hiding in my closet just so I can talk to her.

"That wasn't my idea," I defend myself. Then I pause, "Actually, none of it was my idea."

"So why are you doing it? I mean, Charlie, come on, is this really what you want?" Hellie asks, putting on her other big sister's voice. The one that makes it seem like she's all concerned. She probably is, but she kind of lost that right when she left.

"I don't really have a choice, Helena," I say scowling at her for using that nickname. "If I'm going to be queen I have to marry one of the people. It's in the bylaws. So if this is what I have to do then—"

"Come on, Charlotte, they could change the bylaws if they wanted to, you just have to push them—"

"Helena, you don't really get to have an opinion on this, okay? So if you would just... Not, that would be great. 'Kay? Thanks," I say forcefully, seriously considering slamming the laptop shut, effectively hanging up on her.

"Okay, I'm sorry! You're right, I'm sorry!" Hellie says, holding her hands up. I can tell by the look on her face that she is, in fact, sorry. She sighs. "Look Charlotte, I just want what's best for you, okay?" We fall silent for a little while, both of us in our own world when she asks again, "Okay, but mandatory?"

I sigh. "That's Dads and Uncle Phillip's idea. They're basically worried that I won't get enough entries since we pushed the Selection back a few years, and because— well, because I'm not you."

"Charlotte Grace, that is absolutely the most idiotic thing I have—"

"Hellie, I'm not! It's okay that I'm not but the people grew up thinking they would get you. That's not either of our fault. And things have been up in the air about this whole thing ever since you left. They know I wasn't groomed for this, that I'm the second choice," I rush ahead, cutting her off. "Hellie, I'm not you, so to increase my odds, they made it mandatory."

Helena sighs, not arguing anymore, for once. Then she tilts her head and looks at me in that way I know nothing good will come next, "So is this thing really going to be random? Because I cannot picture dad letting that actually happen. And also, please please let me see ahead of time. I need to know who my little sister is going to be dating—"

I chuckle, shaking my head. Typical Helena. She is more like our father than she will ever admit, never wanting to give over full control. I can't help but let it bring me joy. Lord knows I will need it in the days ahead.

||||||||||