012: Thin Ice

༺ Thin Ice ༻

༺ Thin Ice ༻

     Was it uncomfortable trying to dodge Ricky and Lip for the rest of Carlos's birthday party? Absolutely. And the longing looks they were giving her from their seats on the haystacks in the barn did not help at all.  But it wasn't as bad as dodging Ricky and Lip during rehearsals. Thankfully, Megara couldn't get anyone to cover her shift last minute on Saturday when Miss Jenn called the group in for an emergency rehearsal, so she spent the day coasting work with Red and Kourtney.

     But Ricky wouldn't stop texting her.  Apparently, Miss Jenn and his dad had hit it off during Carlos's birthday party (big shocker there), and their first date was scheduled for later on that evening.  There was also the matter of North High changing their show to Beauty and the Beast as well, further complicating matters, and he mentioned Miss Jenn wanted to talk to her ASAP about a solo opportunity.

     The only song Megara couldn't get off her mind was Nini's.  Miss Jenn essentially panicked and asked Kc if they could wiggle Nini in — what with her being the main role from last semester and all — thus birthing a duet moment for Ricky and Nini.  It was enough to give Megara hot flashes.  She knew they decided to fully remain friends after breaking up, but there was something clawing at her that she didn't understand just yet.

     Nini mentioned something about a breakthrough moment they shared while rehearsing for HSM when they tried to get their show to air at the El Rey theatre (around the same time Miss Jenn had passed out and had some weird dream involving Ryan Evans), but Megara just assumed it was some weird and emotional thing.  She knew firsthand just how bad Ricky was at letting things go, so she imagined Nini wasn't fully out of his picture yet.  That had to be the only reason he was fully on board with continuing Operation Heart Stealer, right?

     Not long after a string of weird texts from Ricky, Nini sat in the booth in the brightest window (dubbed the "best booth" by Big Red), angrily scribbling on her paper.  Megara scooted over to be in Nini's line of view.  "Another drink, Sal-Robs?"

     "This is going so horribly," Nini confessed.

     Megara dug her hands into her apron.  Sure, Nini had never been one to shy away from being honest or totally open about whatever she was feeling, but it still shocked Megara sometimes to hear her bluntly express her feelings.  "I'm sorry about that."

     "I'm trying to think about how the rose could be feeling, but it's hard because it's just a flower," Nini tugged at her bangs.

     Megara frowned, her unruly eyebrows knitting together as she watched the brunette, studying every inch of her face.  Sure, she'd seen Nini stressed, but this was something else entirely.  "What's bothering you?"

     Nini sighed.  "It's just a lot of pressure.  I just came from rehearsal, and they're all stressing about the change in plans.  We have to be better, like so much better just to stand a chance."