014: Death By A Thousand Cuts

༺ Death By A Thousand Cuts ༻

"She's a mess, she's all over the place, she always has been," Megara admitted with a sigh. Sitting around her at the lunch table were Rita, KC, Savannah, and Ricky. Spilling her guts wasn't her ideal plan for the day, but the cat was out of the bag the second Savannah's mom opened her mouth. Megara couldn't blame her, it really was the biggest news to strike the Montez household in a while. There was that, and the fact that her mom insisted on coming with her to Career Day, where parents were encouraged to talk about their chosen paths and business ventures in the real world. At least in that aspect, Megara's mom was inspirational.

"Are we talking about you or your mama?" KC asked with a laugh. Rita aggressively hit her younger sister with her elbow, striking her ribcage hard enough to get her to stop. The younger girl nearly fell over, immediately rubbing her side to gain some relief. Megara thought about her sister, even though they were never aggressive or hardly even playful in any way.

"I am literally so embarrassed by her," Megara grunted, her head falling into her hands as she bent forward. "I am so so sorry you had to see all that."

The three girls shared a brief look of confusion, before realizing what Megara meant. Ricky's cheeks were dusted with blush, but not in a cute way. "Oh my God, you saw her?" Rita asked.

Ricky softly swayed his palm against Megara's back as he cleared his throat. "She was just there when I took Megara home."

KC rolled her eyes but looked away so they couldn't see her clearly. It wasn't anything personal, but lately, they had been grossing her out with how lovey and domestic they were.

Megara looked up from her hands. "Ricky knew my mom when we were kids."

Rita's eyes widened slightly, but it was noticeable. KC mumbled something like, good one, as she recovered. "Right, I always forget about the unspoken lore behind your weird friendship and eventual courtship. It's like Bridgerton on steroids. My bad."

Savannah played with the food on her lunch tray, poking jello around with her fork as blonde bangs covered her eyelids. "You're hilarious, Rita."

"Cut me some slack," Rita whined.

"Guys," Ricky said, bringing them back to the fact that Megara's head was now weighing in her hands again, the dark-haired girl shaking her head in disbelief over how her week was going.

Savannah brought a hand to her friends back and softly spun circles in an effort to comfort her. "It'll all work out. I'm sorry she's like this."

"It's just so embarrassing. Nobody else has to deal with mothers who randomly come back into their lives. And I'd feel better about it if she was genuine, but I know she's not. She literally said she's just here for Charlene's wedding," she groaned.