001: The First Sorry Of Many Sorry's

༺ The First Sorry Of Many Sorry's ༻

     Since Megara sat down at that cafeteria table to create a makeshift contract with Ricky, and even before then — something else had been eating her alive.  Despite helping Ricky with his issues, she never apologized to Nini for being a horrible friend while she was dealing with her own problems.

     "Hey, Sal-Robs," Megara leaned over the railing to get a closer look over, she could have sworn she saw the back of Nini's head fleeing down the stairs faster.  As she peered over, she was able to see it was in fact it was just the girl she was looking for.  She had only known Nini since elementary, but she was sure she could find her out of a crowd.

     Megara was always jealous of Nini's long and smooth hair, like milk chocolate in comparison to her own thick and coarse hair.  Megara's hair was incredibly dark, however, only ever was it jet black when she dyed it to offset the gray hairs she was growing due to the birthmark she had on the top of her head.  Right then, Nini's hair was combed into a high ponytail while Megara's was straightened from the night before and parted down the middle, but she somehow managed to get it messy by midday.

     Their hair wasn't the only thing that set them apart, you could tell just by the girls standing side by side just how different they were, especially on their first day back to school.  Nini was prepped with a sturdy white collar underneath a blue sweater with penguins designed across while Megara was wearing a slightly oversized lavender half-zip sweater.  Nini was dressed in jeans with bedazzled pockets while Megara was sporting black sweatpants and Uggs.

     But there was definitely one common denominator between the two of them.

     Nini craned her neck to look up the stairwell, relieved when she landed her eyes on Megara.  "Hey, Megara."

     Weirdly enough, both of their involvements in the show last semester helped smooth over the top layer of their relationship.  It helped that they were forced to see each other every day not only in school but during rehearsal and especially during the scenes they had to share as Gabriella and Kelsi.  But smoothing over a layer didn't really help much when the root of the problem still sat swollen underneath.

     Megara watched each step as her Uggs stomped on the way, her left hand gently grazing the railing of the staircase for support until she finally got to the bottom.  "You got a minute?"

     "I, uh..." Nini barely had time to think of her next move before Megara was already talking.

     "I would really like to talk to you about something," Megara rubbed her lips together.  She was obsessed with chapstick in the wintertime, especially the peppermint or sugar cookie scented ones.

     "Yeah, me too," Nini looked around.  "How about later, though?"

     "Hot date?" Megara quipped, but then she caught the look on Nini's face, and she was quick to react with a grin.  "Holy shit, who's the lucky guy?"