011: The Good Guys

༺ The Good Guys ༻

༺ The Good Guys ༻

     "Relax, I'm sure your boyfriend can go five minutes without texting you," Phillip commented as he saw the brightness of her phone screen reflecting on her face.

     Megara shook her head.  "No, it's not that.  My little sister has been trying to get back in touch with me.  I just didn't want her to think something was wrong if she didn't hear from me.  But I still have zero bars."

     Phillip relaxed a little.  "I didn't know you had a sister?"

     She had no choice but to tell him now.  "Yeah, well, my mom left when I was really young and she took my little sister with her.  They live in Colorado," a chill passed over Megara as she said that.  When Ricky drove her car off the road on their trip to get the wedding dresses, he even suggested they call her mom for help since they were close by her house, but Megara felt she would just be an inconvenience to her.  "I haven't seen them since they left."

     "Jesus, I'm sorry, Meg.  That's gotta be tough.  How old were you?"

     "I was turning ten, Rosetta was six.  That's my sister.  She doesn't really remember my parent's divorce or the fact that our older sister left us too without looking back.  I haven't seen her since she moved out either, it was the same year.  Petra was nineteen, which I guess makes her... twenty-six now?  I think she's living in New York, or California, I'm not sure.  She's not coming to the wedding, but my mom and Rosetta will be, so... that'll be interesting."

     Phillip sharply inhaled.  "Shit.  I'm sorry for asking."

     She shrugged.  "It's fine.  Well, now you know what I couldn't quite say in the park."

     Phillip gulped.  "You said you didn't want her to think something was wrong if she didn't hear from you.  Megara.  We're stuck in a closet."

     Megara rolled her eyes.  "It's not life or death, Phillip."

     "You sound like somebody who lives through this sort of thing often."

     "Yeah, when I grow up I want to be a professional trapped closet survivor," Megara laughed.  "It's been my dream since I was a little girl."

     Phillip motioned to the door.  "Well, now it's your time to shine, eh?"

     Megara tried to nod enthusiastically and held onto her forearms tightly to prevent him from seeing that she was visibly shaking.  "Yup.  Totally."

     "Megara, I—"

     "Wait, do you smell that?" she perked up, eyes widening madly.

     "Wha..."

     "That's grandpa Noah's recipe," Megara turned her whole body towards the door.  "Hey!" she shouted.  "Hey, is somebody there?  Anybody?"

     "Megara, I don't think—"