008: Actions Have Consequences

༺ Actions Have Consequences ༻

     "I know you didn't audition... again... but after your success in the show last semester, I would like for you to participate in this production anyways."

     Megara couldn't believe her ears.  Here she had thought she had just escaped the clutches of the theatre and everything that came with it, and now she was being pulled back in.  Maybe then it was silly of her to think she could watch from a distance.  "You still want to have me in the play?  But I just fought with another kid in front of you," Megara found herself raising her voice, nearly leaping out of her chair, as a distressed Miss Jenn looked at her from across her wooden desk.  The same one Natalie's pet rat had been on last semester when Megara got in trouble before.

     "Yes, and you will be correctly punished for that, but right now I would really just like to understand why you did what you did," Miss Jenn raised her eyebrows expectantly.

     "What was I supposed to do, I thought I was sticking up for him!" Megara exclaimed.  "She was being mean the entire time people were auditioning, including Ricky!"

     "Yes, honey, but there are better ways to handle those kinds of situations—"

     "Big Red is my friend, and I don't have a lot of friends," Megara said as tears swelled in her eyes, threatening to drop, and quite frankly, scaring Miss Jenn.  "I know it was wrong but I was already having a rough day and then when she started picking on them I just got super defensive, something like, took over men and... whatever."

     "Okay honey, what's really the matter here?" Miss Jenn asked, folding her hands together over the papers in front of her, presumably for the show.  Megara knew she kept a lockbox full of her notes and doodled auditions for the shows (apparently EJ had broken into it last semester, she heard from Savannah of course).  But she hadn't the slightest idea what she might have been writing about herself, or for this show, for that matter.

     Megara sniffled through a stuffy nose, eyes already turning red.  She shook her head.  "Nothing.  It's nothing."

     "You know, whatever it is, you can tell me," Miss Jenn calmly said.  "We're a team here and we care for each other."

     Megara stayed completely quiet for a long moment, the only thing moving was a piece of hair that had fallen in her face, only being moved by her shaky breaths.  The rest of her hair was pulled back into a loose braid down the back of the red sweater she wore.  A long black skirt covered her knees and went down to her ankles, frilled socks peering out of black loafers — which Miss Jenn had just told her she couldn't have on the seats anymore so she was nervously tapping her feet on the ground.  She clutched the armrests of the chair as she stared at the soft swirls in the wooden desk.  She knew Miss Jenn was looking at her expectant of an answer, but she couldn't even figure out what was wrong herself.  "I am so sorry, Miss Jenn.  I will be better tomorrow."