010: Life Is A Box of Chocolates

༺ Life Is A Box of Chocolates ༻

     Though she hadn't slept well, her day was turned around when Megara finally got around to opening the card Ricky planted in her locker.  They had also traded locker combinations like Ashlyn and Big Red (theirs was much more accidental than the other couples) so Ricky's DIY heart-shaped Valentine sat on the tallest shelf, eye level with the girl.  She smiled as she ran her dark red fingernails along it, reading it slowly as if personally injecting each word into her veins.

     Maybe not a love letter, but close enough.  It was even purple, her favorite color.

     "Okay, everyone, gather around," Miss Jenn instructed.  "We have got a two-hour window before the storm is expected to hit, and I intend to use every minute of it."

     The theatre gang had met up after school to start production on their musical, and just like Megara had anticipated, they were starting with the biggest and hardest dance number first.  "Big, splashy group numbers always succeed at the Menkie Awards," Carlos said as he stood next to Miss Jenn like usual.  Everyone else was scattered between the bleachers or standing on the sides.  Megara was a tad late, so when she rushed in, she squirmed to find a seat on a wooden block next to Ricky.  "So we need to workshop a punchy, breathtaking number that will put us in the number one spot.  As our head choreographer, I am so happy to announce that today we will, at last, begin rehearsing one of the most showstopping, iconic, and bar-raising numbers of the entire show.  Be Our Guest."

     "Hey, thanks for the Valentine," Megara leaned over, whispering as best as she could as to not disturb the group, but they were already too busy whispering amongst themselves at Carlos's revelation.

     "Yeah, well, thank you for the dinner and cookies," Ricky whispered back, rubbing his stomach.  "You're gonna have to make those more often.  I fear I ate the leftovers at lunch."  Megara smiled.

     "Yeah, it has to be Be Our Guest, guys," Gina nodded, rubbing her hands together.  Carlos turned and quickly flashed her a glare, which did not go unnoticed by Megara.

CARLOS: What?  Look, I know I asked Gina to be my co-choreographer, but I kinda meant it like, "I'm the choreographer and she's the co-choreographer.  Like how there's a pilot and a co-pilot.

GINA: He called me his "co-pilot"?  When I finally agreed to being a co-choreographer, I thought that meant we'd be equals.  You know, and by equal, I mean, I would choreograph most of the show and he'd, I don't know, clap.

KC: Listen... I'm just here to coordinate the music.  I don't know anything about co-pilots or flying.

MEGARA: I don't care who does what or who is in charge of who, but once they start making my job difficult — and I know they will — don't be surprised when it turns into a recording of Desperate Housewives in here.  I should know, Rita will be the ringleader.  She loves that show.