004: The Worst Thing In The World

༺ The Worst Thing In The World ༻

     Megara scribbled the black Sharpie against the CD, mouthing little incoherent words to herself.  She knew Ricky was as old school as herself deep down behind his iTunes account and might appreciate having something to listen to.  If not, she was getting something out of her system.

     It was like playing Operation in unknown territory, and each time she weaved into it, she was slamming those plastic tweezers into the sensor and setting off a loud and annoying alert.  As Big Red came into her line of vision, she then capped the Sharpie and took a deep breath.  In this crazy world she lived in, she knew she could talk to at least one person about what worried her.  She only hoped speaking aloud wouldn't trigger the Operation alarm.  "Hey, Red, I have something to ask you."

     "Shoot," the redhead sat back, taking a seat on the couch next to her.  His basement had become somewhat of a safe haven these pasts couple of months, especially when Megara didn't want to be home alone.  Even though she had known Ricky and Big Red nearly all her life, she had never planned on becoming their shrink.  So many nights she had watched them sit on that couch — namely Ricky — and spill their little guts out as the three friends binged on junk food and offered advice that wasn't really good at all.

     Now it was Megara struggling to gain control of thoughts running rapidly.  Matter of fact, it felt like her heart might jump out of her chest at the idea of uttering those thoughts aloud.  "I think I have a small problem.  Ricky sort of said that he loves me."

     "He what?" Big Red raised his eyebrows in shock as he listened to Megara speak.

     "Well, not really," she clarified.  "Plus it was in front of other people, so he must have been faking it, for them, you know?  But also it was just so natural, so unrehearsed..."

     "Have you guys talked about this?  Like saying you love each other?" Big Red asked.  The way he bounced up excitedly did not go unnoticed by the dark-haired girl.

    Stray hairs fell from her large top messy bun as she brought her hand to rub her forehead — slightly chipped ruby red nail polish and all.  But her colored nails hardly matched her outfit; a fitted long sleeve with black and mustard yellow stripes decorating her torso until her shirt ended at her hips.  Other than that, distressed and flared jeans.  "No, not at all," she continued rubbing her head.  She was becoming more distressed than her jeans.  "And I'm not sure I even want to bring it up."

     Big Red looked around unsure, but couldn't land his gaze on anything else.  So, he looked back at Megara, who was now slouching back into the couch, encouraging him to relax too.  "So what did you want to ask me?"

     Megara shrugged.  "I guess I wanted to know what you thought about it.  Do you think it's possible that he might love me?"

     After a quick moment of silence, Big Red would open his mouth and counter something bigger that scared her than the thought of Ricky having real feelings for her.  "Is it really the worst thing in the world if he does?" he asked.