006: In This World, It's Just Us

༺ In This World, It's Just Us ༻

     The rest of Megara and Ricky's impromptu road trip was less eventful — thankfully.

     They walked in silence to the car shop where Megara's car had been towed and picked it up before grabbing the dresses for the wedding party and hitting the road back to Salt Lake City where the dark-haired girl would end up dropping him off at home, sighing in relief as she watched him walk up to his new apartment through the passengers' window rolled almost completely down all the way.  The cool air blew through the window, but thankfully it wasn't as unforgiving as they had come to learn Colorado was.

     Maybe relief wasn't exactly what she was feeling.

     "Hey, Rick!" she shouted, surprising the boy who slowly turned around.  They had been mostly civil the entire ride back, only speaking up now and then, but Megara's Spotify playlist took the reigns.  He didn't look hurt, but there was something undetected in his eyes.  "I'm sorry."

     Ricky stared at her for a moment longer than most before finally saying, "it's fine, Megara, really."

     Megara gave him a small nod.  "See you at school, honey bun."

     "I'm counting down the minutes until then, baby," Ricky turned back around, lugging himself towards the door as Megara waited for him to disappear before driving away.  Even after she knew he got inside safely, she still sat in a puddle of her own confusion for a while as she thought to herself.  She knew they couldn't help it, but would this hot and cold game they played ever ring dry?

     What better way to test that theory than to throw a party?

     KC was still doing this awkward dance between Nini and Gina — in which she was actively trying to dance away from one when the other was around.  She wasn't sure why she felt so guilty, it wasn't like she had anything tying herself to Gina per se.  Honestly, they were hardly even friends.  And now that KC was spending more and more time with Nini, Gina was drifting off, farther and farther away from her.

     As for Rita, she was definitely aware of the rising tensions in their friend group.  It was in her human nature to be there for her younger sister even when she insisted she didn't need her, especially since KC had skipped a grade.  Even though KC had always been more mature than other kids her age (she takes after Rita in that way), she was still a child under all those walls around her heart.

     Between us, Rita would've loved to drop KC and Megara off at a therapist's office and call it a day.

     Lastly, Savannah was venturing off into unknown territory, not that it ever scared her to do so.  Out of the four friends, Savannah was almost always the first to do something.  Get a boyfriend, have their first kiss, even get their period.  So it wasn't surprising that Savannah had bounced back from the hell that was her last semester — not in an "I have to pretend to date someone I hate" type of way, but she had fallen behind in some classes the year before and had to retake them on top of her regular classes for the semester.  She may not have gotten the role of Sharpay, but she did land a large dancing role and ended up doing Bop To The Top alongside Seb.