Chapter Vingt

Content Warning - underage drinking / Trigger Warning - dysphoria, misgendering

It had been almost four weeks since I had the talk with John and Thomas. Even though I wasn't officially their boyfriend, my relationship with the two had definitely changed. I felt closer to them than I did just a little while ago, and I could tell they shared the sentiment. We had progressed past awkward hugs and strange talks. Let's just say that all of that felt like a distant memory compared to now. Our friends definitely noticed, too. It wasn't something we were trying to hide exactly, so we weren't shocked when they asked questions.

I thought back fondly to the weekend when we went to Thomas's house to watch a movie. Under any other circumstances, I would be on one end of the couch while Thomas and John shared the other. This time, however, we all sat together sharing a blanket that was definitely not big enough for three people, my fingers laced with each of theirs. It was nice. Our relationship didn't have a label yet; we considered moments like these trial runs. Just testing the waters.

Alongside that, I had been doing a lot of self searching and reading. I didn't know a lot about polyamory in the beginning, and personally I don't think you should jump into something blind. I knew John and Thomas were also looking into it, although I don't know to what extent. It didn't take long for me to come to the conclusion that this is definitely what I wanted. I had no doubts anymore. When I think about the time we've spent together, and the things I've learned, I know that this is right for me. They're right for me. Nothing I could imagine would change that.

"Earth to Alex," Angelica's words brought me back to the lunch table. We were the only two there, since I opted to sit alone that particular day. "Alright?"

I smiled. "Yeah. Sorry- was I spacing out again?"

"No apology necessary. But yeah, you were." Her features were painted with mild concern. "What are you thinking about?"

I paused to consider her question. "Life, I guess. My life. Specifically."

"Oh?" She waited for me to continue, but I didn't.

I looked down at my math homework. It was only halfway through the school day, but I figured I could get a head start on my work for the weekend. Better safe than sorry when your Algebra 2 teacher is a bitch.

Jelly tapped her foot impatiently. I eyed her, slightly confused. "Yeah?"

"Does that mean you'll come tonight?"

Oh yeah. She was trying to invite me to a house party her and her sisters were throwing. I kind of forgot to respond. A party didn't sound awful tonight. Maybe I could invite John and Thomas.

"Sure," I shrugged. "Sounds less boring than my plans."

"Yes!" She squealed, punching my shoulder a bit hard. Angie was a physical person when she got excited. But not like "hug me" physical, more like "I'm going to abuse you" physical. It was scary sometimes.

I was reaching for my pencil again as my phone buzzed in my pocket. I usually don't check it during school, but this particular ring tone was one I had set for only John and Thomas. I dropped my hand from the pencil to my pants and grabbed my phone, smiling when I saw that the message was from John. I unlocked my phone and opened his texts, reading the four words on the screen.

{Freckles}

[I've made my decision]

I gasped audibly, drawing Angie's attention. She raised an eyebrow in question. I smiled apologetically, shaking my head to let her know nothing was wrong.