Chapter Treize (2/2)

I know nothing about football- bear with me here

•••••

The blow horn sounded to signal that the game was beginning as both teams took their places on and off the football field. I felt the anxiety and excitement rising in my chest.

Let the game begin.

•••••

I chewed on my lip as nerves overtook my entire being. John stood up from his seat, cheering Thomas's name as our friends joined in. My breath caught as John sat back down, placing his hand on my wrist. He stared forward intensely as if he were unaware he was even doing it.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, waiting impatiently for the referee to blow his whistle.

He did.

As soon as the ball was in our team's possession, everyone nearly jumped out of their seats screaming encouraging words and wailing the name of the player with the ball. I sat silently, too focused on not losing the ball to cheer. John, on the other hand, had no trouble shouting for our team. His grip tightened on my wrist, flinging my arm into the air as he raised his own to cheer.

I was barely able to keep my focus on the ball. My eyes wandered to the face of the freckled boy beside me and I smiled. He was just... wow. Having the feeling of his warm hand wrapped around my wrist was fantastic. The intensity in his eyes didn't leave when he met mine. I was almost surprised by how serious he looked about this game.

I turned away quickly, scanning the field and finding that the other team had taken the ball. I grimaced as a few of our team members stumbled while trying to keep up.

I covered my face with my hands as they got closer and closer to making the touchdown.

I could hear people getting more desperate as they cheered for the team. John sighed from beside me.

"It's only the first quarter," I reminded him gently. Well, as gently as I could over the screams of the students.

A sudden uproar of a certain player's name had me snapping my head back to see what had just happened.

Thomas had somehow gotten the ball and crossed into the end zone. Our team had gotten the first point of the game.

I felt an overwhelming surge of pride as I stood, along with John and the Schuylers. We all screamed for him like our lives depended on it. I could barely hear the chanting of the crowd anymore. It was all white noise in my ears as I smiled from ear to ear.

I could've sworn that I saw Thomas looking right back at me.

•••••

Halftime rolled around surprisingly quickly. I thought this game was going to drag out forever.

"We're twelve points ahead!" John exclaimed, grabbing me by my shoulder which made my heart skip a beat. "We could actually win this!"

"Don't jinx it now!" Scolded Angelica as she got up to move seats.

I stood from my seat and stretched, snatching the box of Mike and Ike that Pegs waved by my hand.

I tore into the cardboard and poured a few of the chewy candies into my hand, tossing them into my mouth with a satisfied hum. "Fuck- it's been forever since I've had these."

"Are they really that good?" Angelica asked as she maneuvered around her sister to sit back down. "I've never seen the appeal."

"Yes they're that good," John and I blurted at the same time. I snorted.