Chapter Dix

Saturday, 6:31 pm

Alex's POV

Been a while, huh?

I looked up from my place on the couch as there was a knock on the front door. I watched as James opened the door and there stood-

Wait.

We're getting a little ahead of ourselves here- let me give you a little look into what I've been up to:

Over the course of the past few months, I've become much more social at school. People talk to me in the halls, my teachers greet me when I enter their classes, and lots of kids have asked me to sit with them at lunch. It's kind of nice.

John and I have gotten a lot closer- he picks me up and takes me to school in the mornings and drops me off every afternoon. Unless I'm hanging out with the Schuylers, of course. We usually go to the park or take weekend trips down to the beach together. I always invite John(and Thomas, since they seem to come as a package deal), usually to no avail.

Speaking of Thomas, he's been giving me rides, too- when John forces him, that is. I still get the feeling he's not very fond of me, despite my having been as nice to him as I can. He never really talks to me when I'm in the car. Or looks at me. Or even acknowledges my presence.

Not that I mind, of course- he's only really doing it for John. I think it's kinda sweet.

Oh- that reminds me! I've still got a thing for John, don't worry. I just figured if he's happy with Thomas, why should I interfere?

I'd probably have moved on by now if it weren't for his laugh. And that smile. And that stupid look he gets on his face when he's excited about something. And his hair(which is ridiculously soft, by the fucking way). And his beautiful green eyes that make me feel like I'm going to drown in them. And his-

Oh-kay that's enough of that!

Now that you're all caught up, let's get back to that knock:

James opened the door, and there stood none other than Thomas Jefferson. I sat up.

"Alex, your friend's here!" James said over his shoulder.

"We're not friends," I hear Thomas mutter under his breath.

Running my hands through my hair to smooth it, I walked to the door. "Hey," I smiled at the ridiculously tall male in front of me.

"Hi," Jefferson said a bit shortly, shifting uncomfortably.

"Uh . . . What's up?"

"You um-" he cleared his throat. "You left something in my car."

"Oh- my bad- what did I leave?"

He paused as if not expecting this question, "A . . . A hair tie."

"A hair tie," I repeated slowly, raising a questioning eyebrow.

He nodded.

I brushed my hair out of my eyes- it was just above shoulder-length, so I guess it made sense that I had left a hair tie in the car. The only thing was that I don't think you would drive to someone's house- which is a good half an hour away from yours- to return a hair tie of all things.

"Okay," I shrugged. "Where is it?" My own hand flashed in my vision as I pushed the frames of my glasses up on my nose, looking down at both of his hands and seeing no ties for hair.

"Oh- I guess I lost it," Thomas said, eyebrows furrowing as he looked down at his hands. "Well- sorry for wasting your time." He turned on his heel, walking off the porch before I spoke up.

"Actually," I began, stepping outside and shutting the door behind me. "I was curious as to why you thought you had to drive half an hour to bring me a hair tie?"

He stopped. "I didn't. I was bored."

"So boredom prompted you to come to talk to the one person you don't like?"

"I-" he hesitated, then sighed. "I don't know- I guess I wanted to talk to you. Get to know you better." He shrugged. "For John- I mean, he's like your best friend now and I don't really know about you, but I don't want to always be at odds with my boyfriend's BFF."

"That makes sense," I hummed, taking a second to think.

Maybe it wouldn't be too bad to be friends with Thomas- he may act self-centered and like he's better than everyone else . . .

But he also made John happy. Anyone who can do that should automatically be a good person. Even if it's not obvious from how they act on the outside.

If he's good enough for John, he's good enough for me, I thought with a sigh.

"Would you like to come inside?" I asked eventually.

"Yes," Jefferson replied without a moment's hesitation. "Yes, I would."

I smiled. "I think Martha was just about to make dinner if you want to stay."

"That sounds great," he smiled- smiled- back at me.

"Okay."

I led him through the door into the living room.

This should be interesting.

•••••
Word count: 848
Would you look at that! I'm not dead and this story is not over:)
Thank you so much for reading- I know it's been four months since the last update but I have had chronic writer's block for the past however many days- thank you to everyone who's been patient and has waited for this next chapter!
I love you guys- now that we're in quarantine and I've got nothing to do I will attempt to update more often and not every four months
Hope you enjoyed- byyyyyyyyyyyye