Chapter Quatre

Alex's POV

Lunch was nice. Angelica- who I've decided to call Jelly now- was super sweet yet witty at the same time. Eliza was even sweeter, with her gentle compliments and warm smile. Peggy was bright and cheery, cracking jokes and shouting throughout most of the lunch period.

As I walked home that day, having forgotten to grab my backpack and just carrying a stack of books, I suddenly tripped over something- or rather, someone.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, falling on my ass which hurt like hell. "Watch where the fuck you're- oh. It's you." I rolled my eyes as I saw Thomas standing there, a look of boredom crossing his features.

"On your way home I presume? You know they have backpacks for those things, right?" He informed me, pointing at my scattered books as if I didn't already know.

"Well, no shit- I forgot it at school... not that it's any of your business," I muttered, standing on my own. Thomas bent down, picking up my books and handing them to me.

"There- run home, now," he mumbled.

"Uh- thanks?" I asked more than stated, confused.

Thomas sighed, "Just leave already."

Rolling my eyes, I continued walking home. Once I got there, I was immediately greeted by Martha.

"Alexa, Dear, would you mind doing the dishes?" I cringed.

"Sure thing, Martha- just let me put my bags down first!" I rushed to my room, throwing my books onto my bed and pulling out an oversized hoodie I kept in my closet.

It was pretty good at covering my chest, so I wore it almost all of the time. I turned so I was facing away from my mirror, as to not have another incident like this morning.

Once I pulled the sweater on, I ran back downstairs and started doing the dishes. As I was scrubbing one of the plates, I got a call from an unknown number.

"This is Alex Hamilton speaking, how may I help you?" I asked. I knew this wasn't a spam call because the number was similar to one I had written on my wrist earlier.

"Hey!" The voice on the line said cheerily. "It's John Laurens from school."

I blinked in surprise. I completely forgot I had given him my number. "Oh- hey, John." I smiled. "What's up?" I asked as I saved his number to my phone.

"Just wondering when you planned on coming over to start working on the history project- unless you wanted me to come to your place?"

I cursed under my breath. I completely forgot we had a project! "Oh- uh- I'll talk to Martha about it in a second- I'm doing the dishes right now..."

I could practically hear John's smile on the other line, "Of course- just get back to me as soon as you can."

"Yeah... I will," I confirmed, nodding even though he couldn't see it.

"Great! Talk to you soon," he said before hanging up.

I sighed softly, finishing the dishes and putting them away. "Martha!" I called up the stairs.

"Yes, Dear?"

"I have a history project I need to work on with a friend from school- is it alright if he comes over?" I chewed on my lip. I knew what came next.

Martha practically flew down the stairs, standing in front of me with a wide smile, "A friend?"

"Yes, a friend," I sighed.

"Boy or girl?"

"Boy."

"Is he tall?"

"Yes."

"Is he handsome?"

"Martha!"

"I'm just teasing," she chuckled. "Yes, he can come over- but keep the doors open!"

I rolled my eyes, "Nothing's going to happen- trust me."

She shook her head, "I know how you teenagers are- I used to be one once, you know."

"No, seriously," I shook my head. "He's not interested in... girls..." I sighed as the word left my mouth.

"Oh?" She hummed.

"He's gay."

"Oh!" She clapped. "Got it."

We stood there in silence for a minute. I cleared my throat, glancing around.

"So... I'm gonna call him now," I said slowly.

"Right, right- have fun!" She ran back upstairs.

For a 50-year-old woman, she sure had a lot of energy. Anyway, I called John back, giving him my address. He said he'd be here in five minutes- that was fine since I don't need to get ready or anything like that.

Not two minutes later, the doorbell rang. I practically fell on my face as I raced to the door. I knew James would try to open it first. Right before I put my hand on the handle, he butted me out of the way. I made an "oof!" sound as I hit the ground, groaning in pain.

"Asshole," I grumbled.

"Whatever, dickface." He replied, opening the door and dragging John inside. "Hi! I'm James, Alex's older brother! A pleasure to meet you!" He smiled, gripping John's hand with enough force to break it.

I could see the pain in the freckled man's eyes as he tried to smile, "P-Pleasure's all mine..."

James suddenly yanked John close to his face, "If you ever lay a finger on my sister, I will find you. And I will kill you."

I rolled my eyes, standing up and pulling my brother away from this gorgeous specimen in front of me. "Alright, alright- break it up, you two." I sighed. "We have a project to work on." I hissed at James, pulling John to my room and shutting the door.

Let the research begin.

•••••

Word count is 912
Wow I've been gone a while- thank you all so much for reading! I promise I'll be more regular with updates now- hope you enjoyed the chapter. That's all for now, guys- baiiiii