Chapter Neuf

Shit, shit, shit! They have my journal. What the hell am I going to do now?!

My thoughts raced as I looked to George and then Martha and then James. Back and forth. Over and over and over.

I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to say? Did I ask if they read it? Did I tell them to give it back? Did I yell at them for invading my privacy?

Luckily, I didn't have to say anything. James spoke first.

"Alex, I-"

"So you did read it," I couldn't help but blurt. My whole body was shaking as I stared at my hands, which were folded in my lap. They knew. They knew and they were going to kick me out. I was going to get abandoned by the one family I had ever truly had.

The one functioning one, anyway.

But, their faces were calm. Apologetic, if anything.

I felt a warm hand on my cheek, tilting my head up. My eyes clouded with tears as I met Martha's warm eyes. And now the fear was really setting in.

Oh, god, I thought. I'm going to be living on the streets. They're going to put me into foster care- I'm going to wind up starving to death or dying of hypothermia or-

"So... Alexander, hm?" George said.

"I... what?" I asked in confusion.

"That's your name, right? Alexander?" He tapped the book that remained in James's hands.

"Um... yeah..." I nodded. "That's the name I want to have, anyway."

"Cool! I've always wanted a brother," James smiled. "Guess I had one the whole time."

My heart jumped from my chest.

"Wait- you're not kicking me out?" I said in surprise.

"Goodness no!" Martha gasped. "Why on earth would we do that? We took you in promising to love you for what you are and the person you'll become- if this is who you are, who're we to try to stop that?"

A wave of relief washed over me. I felt my eyes burn with tears again.

"I just- I never thought that-"

"That we would love you the way you are?" George smiled.

And then the tears began to fall. All that weight I had been carrying on my shoulders was suddenly being released. I leaped from my seat and pulled George and Martha into a tight hug. I felt James embrace us all from behind me as I closed my eyes.

I had a family who loved me for me. These wonderful, wonderful people accepted who I was without question and weren't even a bit confused.

It was almost like a dream.

After that, they all listened while I explained what I had been experiencing for however long I had known. They didn't interrupt me once, and when I was done, asked if there was anything I wanted to do.

So, we made a stop to our local barbershop.

••••• Time Skip~ Monday, 8:03 am

I walked into school that morning feeling...

Happy.

Confident, even.

I knew I felt different and I liked it.

I wasn't in a sweater or a skirt or even my usual pair of blue skinny jeans.

James had let me borrow one of his t-shirts- he really was a good brother when he wanted to be. I had also managed to steal a pair of his jeans, which were a little big on me, but better than nothing.

And now that I knew my family was behind me, I felt ready to take on the world as who I really was. I was ready to take it on as Alexander.

Wow, that was cheesy- like the ending to one of those PG-13 movies about accepting yourself.

Anyway, when I got to my locker, I checked the little mirror inside. I already felt more like myself. I played with my hair with a small smile.

It now only fell to about the tops of my ears.

My smile fell slightly as I saw my friends walking down the halls. I hadn't even considered how they would react.

Like hell did I care, though. This was for me. This was me. Nobody was taking that away.

"Hey," I offered a little wave. My voice still bothered me. "How's it going?"

Angelica, Peggy, and Eliza all stopped. I couldn't read any of their faces.

"Alex," Angie said slowly. "You look... different."

"Well," I began. "I am different."

They all stared again. "Oh," Eliza said simply. "Okay."

And just like that, it was like nothing had changed. The girls went on to as my opinion on some dress Liz had bought that was apparently "Peggy's color," whatever that means.

I don't know what I had been so worried about. These girls are my friends. Nothing I ever was or would change that.

I walked down the hallway with the sisters, elbow linked with Angelica's as they all gossiped about one thing or another.

My smile didn't fade one bit as I passed John, who looked just as shocked as the girls had.

But, for the first time, John didn't matter. What he thought didn't matter.

I was happy.

And that was the only thing I could've ever wanted.

•••••
Word count: 868
I hated all of that lmfao
But I needed to get an update out so take that trash hhhhhhh
Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I can't make any promises on updating sooner but hopefully, that'll keep you satisfied for a bit!
Have a great day/night guys- baiiiiiiiii