•| 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧♡

The ride was quiet to start off.

Neither party really knew to start conversation, but both were more than happy just being in eachother's presence with no distractions for a little while. Y/N hadn't been past the area of her little town ever, so the new scenery was really something to behold, for the most part.

"It's kinda pretty out here."

She had remarked. The cashier playfully scoffed at her statement, following the action with a puff of the cigarette he had recently lit.

"You' serious? It's just trees."

Y/N changed her position from leaning on the car's window to facing the boy, sneering at him. The cashier took a blind eye to the act.

"Yes, I'm serious. I haven't been out of the town since I was, like, five! Dad never needs to drive anywhere anyway."

The cashier just shrugged, taking another drag out of his cigarette.

"Personally, I'd try to leave that town any chance I could. No offense, of course, its just a tiny bit boring."

"Honestly, none taken. If my dad would get off of his ass and let me go out of town to get a license then I'd probably be moving out once my brother turns 18. Still gotta look after him."

That pulled a chuckle out of him.

"You could always leave with me, 'day after the mini demon's birthday of course. I wouldn't wanna leave you hanging here, you're too sweet."

The sharp gaze the girl held softened at that little remark. Would he really take her with him?

"You'd actually let me leave with you? For realsies??"

"Never say 'for realsies??' again."

"Answer my question!"

The cashier paused for a moment. Taking his eyes off the road for a split second to look at Y/N's face before looking back to the road, contemplating.

"I mostly said that as a joke,"

He paused again.

"—but yeah, I mean, I'd totally take you with me once I'm done working at this dump. We could probably find some cheap apartment, no one lives near this area anyway."

He could tell from how her eyes lit up at the reinforcement of his little remark that she was totally on board with the idea.

—<|>—

The rest of the car ride went faster than either of the two could imagine, and now they were back, parked in the front of the store, and walking inside of the building to the chilled breeze of the air conditioned building.

"This might be an odd question, but where do you live?"

The cashier was completely taken aback by the question, but composed himself rather quickly.

"Mmmnn... I never really get time to sleep. It's just work, break, work, break, so I never really had the need to buy a home y'know? Some nights, when I'm really tired, I sleep in my car. Only when I'm on break, though."

Y/N stared at him for a little bit, before commenting,

"God, that sounds miserable. So, TL;DR, you're homeless?"

"When you put it like that it sounds bad! ...but technically, yes."

Y/N crossed her arms, silently scoffing at his living condition.

"Jesus, that's so messed up. Do you get paid for all of those hours?"

The cashier took a final puff of his his basically dead cigarette before flicking it into the trash, replying to her comment that,

"Yes, that's literally the only positive of working here. I make a solid $15 an hour, so that's $2.5k a week, and about $130k a year."

"That's a ton of money you're earning for minimum wage."

"Well, I do work 24/7–wait why the hell are we talking about wages? It's late, you gotta get home before your dad gets pissed."

The girls eyes widen before checking out the window, the set had practically set, it was almost completely purple outside, hints of dark blue already appearing.

"Eek, your right! Bye, cashier-man!"

She waved, rushing out of the shop.

"Bye, darling!"

•|
guys i think this book is nearing the end of its lifespan 😭😭 it's been a solid year but i'm kinda just running out of ideas. i might be able to get a few chapters out before i end it but still, thank you so much for still reading this!