Chapter 13: The Doctor's Office

06.2015/02.07.2015

Copyright © May/July 2015 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 13: The Doctor's Office

Sandra Adele Rosé

It seemed that the nightmare I had wished to end only began. The New York City hospital that I was at for my daughter only five days ago called me in for an appointment.

Of cause I went back. I wanted to know what was wrong with my daughter, however I was also terrified.

The great Liam Douglas, didn't just tag along, it seemed as if I was the one he invited to come along. I ignored him all the way to the hospital and I'll tell you it was quite difficult.

At least we both made it there in one piece, I mean I literally had the urge to rip his head off and feed it to a dog, literally.

As we entered the automatic entrance, the smell of disinfectant filled my nostrils. The front desk stood right ahead just like I remembered and without hesitation Liam Douglas walked straight towards it.

"Good afternoon how may I help you?" The lady said from behind the desk as she looked up at the shadow towering above her fragile form.

The dark man in suit I stood next too, spared me no glance as he spoke up. "We would like to speak to Dr. John Pearson." She didn't move for a second but then her fingers began typing things into the computer.

"The doctor is waiting for you, you may go in." Said the lady who looked ignored my presence.

With a short nod, Liam made his way to the door that clearly had the doctor's name on it. I followed silently as the next few minutes became a blur. I had realized that we sat in Dr. John's office as the formal greetings had already been made.

He wore a serious face as if the time we would spend in this room weren't promising. I had seen that look a few days ago.

I watched as he reached for a file of documents that were already on his desk. "We have been re-running a few test and I'm aware that told you instruction for your daughter, Ms. Rosé." The man looked at me. "It was risky jumping to first conclusions without any prove, I hope you accept my apology."

"Tell us what the problem is, will you? I'm not wasting my time on hearing apologies." Said the sudden calm and unexpected voice of Liam.

It was quite easy from him to keep his cool and quite hard from him to lose it. He knew how to control himself, he also had this silent power.

"Certainly. Some Test Runners have found particles of certain abnormalities which happens to cause the cell to grow and divide more rapidly and to continue living when normal cells would die." I don't know what he was talking about but Like did, I knew it considering his eyebrows were crunched up in a very dangerous way. "If we don't do anything about it soon these abnormal cells can crowd out healthy blood cells in the bone marrow."

"What does that mean?" I asked feeling like I wasn't being told a straight forward answer.

The two men shared a look, something only they understood. Frankly I was not important to know the truth. This is my daughter we are talking about! I'm the first one that must know.

Maybe I knew what he said but I must have been delusional. I knew the truth. I knew.

The silent kills. It was so dead our breathing were audible to each other. I wasn't the only one. Both men remained quiet and it was outrageous. Ridiculous!

Dr. John opened his mouth and finally spoke. "Your daughter may be developing leukemia also known as blood cancer. There are a few ways we can stop this before it spreads throughout her body completely." He didn't give me time to respond to the statement. "It could be through blood transfusion and an alternative is taken blood from her sibling, it's a little more complicated than that."

"She doesn't have siblings."

I was out of it. I left that office once the doctor said something about having a few months before this procedure must take place. Liam helped me out of there as I couldn't seem to function on my own.

He heard everything the man said but I only managed to catch the wind going by. "It's going to be alright. We will get through this." If only I could actually believe his words. I just seem to be disbelieving everything these few days.

Will everything be alright one day?

The car drive to Liam's house got me thinking about the future. Trying to rebuild my life and all, I think these are the signs of massive failure. It's funny how I don't realize the car had stopped. I make my move to open the door and get out but it was locked.

I turned to the owner of the car only to see him already staring back at me. "I know you don't wanna do this right now but I need to know... dose Adeline have a father?"

Let's just say; I was expecting it. I had it coming.

After a lot has happened over these past months, I at least owned him that.

Forever later, I nod. "Yes... she does." I uttered quietly, refusing to let this simple topic affect me.

He allowed me to leave after my answer, without any further words. I didn't look back as I headed to the house, wanting just embrace my daughter and not let go.

I could sense a lot worse coming...