Chapter 16: The Invitation

05.09.2015

Copyright © September 2015 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 16: The Invitation

Sandra Adele Rosé

With no idea what to do, my options where limited.

It was the day before Christmas and it was funny that I couldn't move from the bed I woke up in, and I didn't want to get up or move.

My phone kept buzzing and I just did not find the strength in me to reach for it. Nothing cheered me up not even the sight of Adeline.

I had an on and off sleep, but most of the time I was conscious I used the time to think. Yesterday kept playing over in my head.

How I managed to get out of this bed, would be a long story but let's just say; Liam Douglas did it.

But then I realized it. He wanted to take Adeline away from me. I dragged myself over to Liam's office around four o'clock, where he was hiding. Not bothered to knock, I casually stroll in.

I didn't notice what he was occupied with until I sat down on the chair in front of him. Liam was staring down at a file, with his pen in hand. I took the fancy letter that was sitting on his desk.

We are delighted to have you join us for a Eve Dinner Party held at the Douglas Mansion

Friday 24th December, 7 pm
Estate Avenue, New York, NY

Wait a minute. Friday 24th is today, no doubt. I looked up from the invite and surprisingly he was already studying me with his intense eyes.

"I'm not going." Was his response to a question I haven't asked yet. I raised my eyebrow and sat back quietly. I didn't dare speak about last evenings events to him. It was clear that I was very upset, I refused to speak and I knew he knew that.

Actually, he ignored my harsh stares as he continued doing what was so interesting. He then opened a drawer on his desk and pulled out a file. It reminded me of how much businessmen were so fond of files. Everything mend business to men.

I rolled my eyes and watch as he hand it over his desk towards me. I look it because I knew very well that he wouldn't answer the questions roaming my head. My fingers touched the sleek black material and I opened it, Liam watched me do so. The first few pages included of information of the fashion Auction to be held straight after Christmas for... well I'm not quite sure yet.

I scanner through the text and what I found was entirely shocking. My head snapped up at Liam, I didn't hesitate as I spoke up. "We are working with Mary-Lynne Jane, CEO and Owner of MLJ Fashion Line." I told myself and Liam at once. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You didn't ask." He shrugged. I went back to ignoring him after his comment and kept the thrilled feeling to myself. Even if It bought back memories, it's not like I've met her. Well it's quite a long story, I'll just spare you the drama and cut it short.

"I can't believe you did this!" I squealed. I couldn't stop beaming.

There was a proud smile on his flawless face, it reminded me of how my best friend swept me off my meet with is charm. "You're forgetting that your appointment is with her personally." His voice teased.

I literally jumped on him while he was driving and we both laughed at my stupid move. "What day is it on?"

Lets just say the date and time was unfitting so I never got to meet the ruthless woman I had heard about all those years ago. Of course my appointment took place however MLJ wasn't present to attend to me... Personally.

These were really good designs as I went through the few dresses that are supposed to be worn by models on the Fashion Action night. I wasn't really a fashion person, but it was bearable. There were three venues with pictures and location where the evening are supposedly to be held and I wasn't quite sure what it meant until I realized Morgan Douglas left all the work for me too do or more like Liam did this on behalf of his sister.

Right, I got off my seat and went around Liam's desk towards him. His grey-greenish eyes followed my every single move as I walked over to him. I turned his thin Mac laptop in my direction that could shatter underneath my finger tips. I bend down next to him to get a better view of the screen. And it was actually shocking what I saw, it made me look at him shortly.

However, I turned back to the screen realizing how close our faces were to each other. I opened another Internet tab and typed in the address of the first venue. I sat down on Liam's lap unintentionally and went through each of the places. The man breathing behind me commented on each venue, there was something he didn't like about any of them and he reminded himself that it was his sister who picked them.

I was astonished that she had really good taste, honestly I had no clue what Liam was talking about. "Let me borrow your phone, please." It surprised me I used 'please' in my sentence. He gave it without questioning and I dialed the number on the screen into the phone.

"Thank you for calling 548 West 22nd Street, Center548, this is Brooke speaking how may I help you?" Said the lady from the other line.

I turned and looked at Liam, "I- em... I'd like to make a reservation." She asked what date as I could hear her typing into a computer. "A week from now."

"That would be the Friday 31st December, any specific time ma'am."

What! No one said what time the event should take place. "Yes, 7 pm and onward, please."

"Perfect, and what name would you like the reservation to be made under?"

I thought long and hard about it and came to a decision, which made me smirk for the first time in 24 hours. "Liam Douglas." I said very sweetly. She did her job and said her goodbye. After that I left his phone on his desk and got up to leave the room, but he held me down.

His eyebrow arched straight towards me. "I'm not even going to asked, sweetheart."

"You'll just have to wait and see." I concluded and quickly left to go see what my daughter and Leah were up too.

Close to six o'clock, the door bell to Liam's fancy home rang. The man himself hasn't stepped out of his office ever since I left. I wondered if he heard the door.

My feet took me to the door, which I opened. It surprised me that I found the beautiful blonde standing before me. She was in a diamond covered champagne colored dress that left me a little breathless.

"Hi Sandra." She gave me a kiss on both cheeks and invited herself in, followed by a woman who was carrying two black gown covers that you'd use to protect clothing.

Anyway, when I caught up with both of them, Morgan Douglas stopped in her catwalk along me where her bother was to be found. As I gave her the answer she was off to get him.

"I'm not as ignorant as my brother thinks I am. But what I don't understand is how your daughter looks like... never mind." She laughs nervously at me, then went back to persuading Liam to go since he'a being incredibly distance from his family for years. "You know how they are, I can't risk turning up without you this year again, Liam."

"Morgan if you don't leave, I'll have to get rid of you myself." He stated firmly, walking away.

His sister clearly wasn't done as she walked after him. As much as I'd like to intervene, it was family business. "You can't do that, I always have to make up an excuse for you... I've ran out of excuses!"

Adeline and Leah were kept out of this conversation as they remained in the living room. I made my way there when out of the ordinary, I was pulled by my arm.

How did she get here so fast?

It didn't matter because her face looked determined. She wasn't giving up without a fight.