Ch. 2: Sudden Sickness

It was an average day for the family as Nathan decided to take some sick days to spend time with them, something he never realized how much he missed because of his work.

"Are you ready for your Birthday this Saturday, Luz?" Nathan asked.

"Yes, daddy!"

He loved her smile, he wanted it to stay on her face forever. They ate breakfast when Luz started to feel sick. She quickly left for the bathroom, leaving behind a metal spoon, bent in half. Nathan saw this and was shocked but this a bit.

'What?' He thought as he grabbed the spoon.

"She's seven, there's no way she could've bent this."

This would require study on how the nanobots would affect a human body, especially how they would be affecting his daughter right now! He ran to the bathroom, where he found Luz, hugging the toilet.

"HUUUUUH!" Luz vomited into the toilet, turning a little green as Nathan went to comfort her.

"It's okay sweetheart." He said, "You'll be okay."

'Now I NEED to research the side effects of the nanobots.' Nathan thought as Camilia came and saw Luz was sick.

"Mija, are you okay?!"

She came in and went to the other side of Luz, rubbing circles on her back as she pulled out of the toilet.

"I think I'm a little sick, mami." Luz said, wiped her mouth with her arm.

"Don't worry, Mija, you'll feel better soon."

Nathan picked Luz up and brought her to the den as Camilia went to get the first aid kit in the house. Nathan waited until Camilia came back with the kit before he went to get a kit of his own. Something to examine Luz's internal system and see what the nanobots were doing to her even now. His fear that he might have just inadvertently killed his daughter while trying to save her weighed on his mind. As Camilia took her temperature, Nathan used a scanner to go over Luz's body and got an exact result.

'The nanobots....are changing her?!' He thought, seeing an X-ray of Luz's skeleton being changed into a metallic material!

He felt horrible. His attempt to save Luz, may have just cursed her.

'It seems the nanobots are weaponizing her! But why?! Could it be something in the programming I didn't anticipate?!' Nathan thought as he put his scanner away, so Camilia didn't notice. 'If they are then I have to try and contact them to stop it!'

He made his way to his personal lab and went through his notes. Nathan kept a close eye on Luz from that point on, even after she made it past the sudden sickness to make sure she was alright. Over the next few days, Luz displayed these random bursts of strength, speed, and agility. He can safely say, you haven't felt terror until you've seen a seven-year-old lift the fridge.

'Thank god Camilia is out that day.' Nathan thought as he continued to compile the data. 'If this continues or if Luz can't control her new abilities, then the wrong people will notice her.'

"There has to be a way to fix this."

If he could remove the nanobots without hurting Luz, that could be easy but if they integrated too deep into her system, it would be more than impossible since they would be infused with her biology. If that was the case, this would turn Luz into the world's first real life cyborg.

"Camila's going to kill me when she finds out."

He had to find a way to stop this before it was too late.

"Maybe there is a way to command them, maybe shut them down via a computer?"

Using his laptop, Nathan went to try and contacted the nanobots inside of Luz's body to make them exit her body, but he found that they weren't RESPONDING TO HIM?! How?!

'Have they developed their own hive network?!' He thought as he kept trying!

Every time he tried to put in a command, the screen said ERROR. The nanobots had adapted to Luz's body and it seemed like they would only obey her! He only had one option, the most dangerous option...

"CAMILIA!"