Ch. 8: Present Thoughts

Six Years Later:

Luz was in the woods behind her house, punching the trees.

"Alright, Nanobots, let's see just how strong I've gotten."

"Affirmative." The nanobots said.

Working within her body, Luz felt the nanobots transform her arms and legs into metal with energy glowing from the crevices/veins of her new arms.

Her eyes even changed to black with gold glowing irises as she gazed at the tree

"Battle mode, ready." The nanobots said.

Luz swung at the tree, breaking it in half like a stick. But she didn't stop there and she keep punching the tree at high speed until the top half was reduced to splinters. She looked at what she did and smiled.

"I would say I'm getting stronger."

"And faster." The nanobots said

"Yeah, now it's time to get back before mom blows a gasket." Luz said, thinking about her 14 birthday in a couple days.

"Understood, Luz." The Nanobots said as they shifted her skin back to normal.

It's been so long since the nanobots were injected into her body, making her stronger the before. Faster and smarter too but she had to hold back the former two as she didn't want to reveal anything suspicious to her mother. Although, she had a feeling her mom knew. But she acted like everything was normal. Luz just went along with it. Walking back to her house, Luz hummed to herself as she took in the lovely weather today. It almost seemed like the perfect day.

"Perfect day, that usually means something bad will happen."

It could be seen as being paranoid but when a 14 year old girl has next level nanobots in her body that can turn her into a bad dads real life anime cyborg, you tend to think stuff like this. Just as she said it, it she heard thunder.

'And here comes the rain.' Luz thought as she rushed home.

She used to love rain, but that was before she learned that she rusts in the rain. When she right her home, Luz stood under the back door and increased her body height to try herself a bit so the rust wouldn't kick in so soon.

"The downsides of having metal bones."

Stepping through backdoor of her house, Luz looked around for her mother.

"Mom! I'm home!" Luz called out for her mother.

"I'm in the kitchen." Camila said.

Walking to the kitchen, Luz saw her mother was busy cooking something before she turned to her with a smile.

"How was your walk, Mija?"

"My walk was good. But the rain sort of ruined it, so I had to rush home." Luz said to her mother.

"Are you excited to turn fourteen?"

"Heck yeah, I am. You only turn 14 once!" Luz said with a smile.

"I'm going to make sure it's extra special." Camila said.

'I wonder what mom will plan?' Luz thought.

"If anything, I think it's going to be a day to remember." The nanobots said to Luz.

'You got that right.' Luz thought.

"Dinner is almost ready, go wash up and I'll call you down when it's done." Camilia said to her.

"Okay, Mami." Luz said with a nod.

Luz walked up the stairs and went into the bathroom. Since she can't actually shower or anything without getting rusted for a week, she has her nanobots sanitize her.

"Alright, bots let's do this."

"Understood, Luz." They said to her as opening formed in Luz's skin.

The nanobots not only healed Luz all those years ago but they've made their own colony inside of her with self replicating abilities and can mimic various solutions Luz has come in contact with like a mix of soap, hand sanitizer, deodorizing agents to creating a cleaning solution for her to bath with. Downstairs, Camila was quiet, deep in thought.

'So much has happened and Luz seems to be back to normal, but I feel like that isn't the case.' Camilia thought.

She knew Luz was hiding something. She had a feeling it involved her nanobots, but she had no proof that those were still active. It's not like she was able to access Nathan's computer.

'They couldn't still be active, could they?' Camilia thought.

Nathan only said that they would be deactivated for a year, and that was six years ago.

"I have to talk to her about it."

Focusing back on dinner, Camilia wondered how Luz would react to her question. She might deny it, but she hoped Luz would be honest with her. It's a good thing she is making Luz's favorite meal, maybe it will lessen the blow.