Ch. 4: A New Hope

In her room, Luz was playing with her toys, when she started thinking.

"Why am I so strong?"

It didn't escape the 7 year old that she noticed how strong she was, and she always wondered why she was so strong when she didn't ever work out. No one at 7 year old worked out anyway, so why was she so strong?

'Is it because I'm drinking all my milk? Mom says it helps you grow big and strong.' Luz wondered.

Luz went to her bed and grabbed it. She lifted it and looked at it.

"I guess milk really does make me strong." Luz said to herself.

She put it down and went back to playing. Camila sat at the table and tried to think of a way to help her daughter.

'How can we help Luz without telling her?' Camila thought, 'What if people find out about her?'

The thought of a modern angry mob chasing them through the streets or even worse, government agents break into the home and kidnap Luz for some human weapon program made Camilia worry to near death! She couldn't keep her eyes dry. The mere thought of that brought tears to her eyes.

"Mommy? Why are you crying?"

"N-n-nothing, Mija, I'm just... having a rough day."

"Would a hug make it better?" Luz asked.

"I don't see why not." Camila said.

Luz and Camilia hugged each other, the mother feeling the change already as Luz was hugging much stronger than usual!

'This will get fixed. She'll be fine."

Camilia had to think that, she had to think that to keep herself from worrying.

She had to keep her mind off it, so she changed the subject.

"Is someone excited for her birthday in three days?"

"Yeah, I am! I'm gonna be 8 years old, a big girl" Luz said with a bright smile.

"Yes, you are! Have you decided on what you want your present to be?"

Luz thought about it for a moment before something came to mind, something she really wanted since she first read about it!

"An Azura action figure!" Luz said with her fist in the air.

Camila smiled, Luz always was into fantasy.

"Then you have it, sweetie." Camilia said.

Luz ran off and Camila felt worried. If Luz ever discovered what she was becoming, would she still be the bright light of her life? Only time and God would know.

"Just make it to her birthday." Camila said.

That's all Camilia could do, and she hoped Nathan would help as well by trying harder to prevent this from happening.