Ch. 9: Panicking and Rash Choices!

After Luz was done "showering" and Camilia was done cooking, both mother and daughter assembled at the dinner table to eat.

"Luz, would you like to lead us in prayer to bless the food?" Camilia asked her daughter.

"Sure." Luz said.

She stopped participating in religion after her dad died, but she'll do anything to make her mom happy. Luz put her hands together and shut her eyes as Camilia did the same. Luz and Camila prayed before beginning to eat.

"So, did you have a good day, Mija?"

"It was good. I'm getting straight A's in school, like usual." Luz said with a smile.

"That's good but any friends? You have an after-school club you like to go to, don't you?" Camilia asked her.

"No. No one wants to hang out with the weird girl."

Camilia didn't like how Luz would put herself down like this. She was a smart girl with a bright future ahead of her, but she could never make friends because of her somewhat weird tastes.

"Mija, you aren't weird, you're just... different. There's nothing wrong with that. If you were like everyone, there would be nothing interesting in the world. Your individuality is what make you who you are."

"And us too but only a small bit. You are all you, Luz, and we love you for it." The nanobots said to Luz.

Luz smiled and hugged her mom.

"Thank you, Mami." Luz said.

"Think nothing of it, Mija." Camilia said as she hugged back, brushing her hair, "Now, let's eat."

Luz nodded to her mother as she broke the hug and went back to her dinner. Camila looked at Luz, knowing that she has to say it.

"Mija... I know."

"Hmm? Know what?" Luz asked her mother.

"Mija, I know about the nanobots. I know they're still active." Camilia cleared up.

Luz dropped her fork.

"W-w-what?"

"Before your father died, he said he could shut nanobots down for only a year. Meaning they would've been back online by your 9th birthday." Camilia said to her.

Luz remembers being able to speak to them again after that.

"How long have you known I can talk to them?" Luz asked her.

"I've theorized you could talk to them for a while now." Camilia said to her.

Luz looked at her plate, unsure of what to say, she got up and ran to her room.

"Luz, wait!" Camilia shouted, running after her.

Luz locked her bedroom door and started freaking out. She was having a hard time accepting the fact that her mom knew.

"Mija! Please! Open the door! I'm not mad!" Camilia said through the door, but Luz couldn't hear her.

The cyborg was having a panic attack!

"Active... sedation." Luz said.

'Understood.' Her nanobots said.

A small opening appeared on Luz's hand as she pointed it to bottom of the door, a blue mist producing and flowing out. Luz waited a second before opening the door. She found her mom sleeping on the ground. She picked her up and brought her mom to a bed.

"I'm sorry, mom. But I don't want you to know this about me, you'll just worry yourself too much." Luz said as she set her mother in bed. "I know you care for me but this is my problem, not yours."

"We know you do not mean that." The nanobots said to Luz.

"What's the point of having advanced intellect if I don't know what to do with it?" Luz asked, looking at her hands. "What's the point of these powers!? All I do is rust in the rain and watch YouTube on my hand! Maybe dad should've just let me die. He might be alive still if he did."

The nanobots gave her a slight shock as Luz looked surprised at this.

"Your father would NEVER want you to think this way. He loved you with all his heart and never would wish for you to die. He gave us to you to save you because your life meant more than his life's work." The nanobots said to her.

Luz just walked to her bed and laid in it.

"Sleep Mode."

Though sleep mode was more for the nanobots than Luz, she still said it so she could easily sleep while the nanobots kept on guard.

"Yes, Luz." The nanobots said as they helped Luz go to sleep.

Luz closed her eyes and let sleep take over her.

"Luz, one day you will find a reason for us. A reason to use us to protect people." The nanobots said as Luz slept, letting her dream.