5- The Rumors

Chapter 5

We finished our homework at seven, three long hours later. After we'd finished calculus homework, we'd moved on to English, science and history. We'd just finished when Aiden opened the door and announced, "Mom says dinner is done."

"Tell her we'll be done in one second," Alexis replied. He nodded, glancing at me before closing the door and leaving. I sat up and stretched my back. I'd taken to lying on my stomach on the floor a little while ago.

Vanessa stretched out as well. "I have to go; I'll see you tomorrow... Samara, do you need a ride home? I live next door."

"No, stay and eat with us!" Alexis suggested, nudging my arm.

I shook my head slowly, "I should probably get home."

"Oh, do you have strict parents?" She guessed, looking disappointed.

I couldn't help the small laugh that escaped my lips. "No, they're never home. They don't really care what I do."

"Then stay for dinner," she whined.

I laughed at her reaction, feeling a little guilty. "I'm sorry but I really do have to leave; I have stuff I need to do at home."

"Fine, but I can get Aiden to drive you since Vanessa obviously forgot she's still grounded," Alexis replied, smirking at her friend.

Vanessa sighed, her shoulders slumping noticeably. "Oh yeah..."

Alexis laughed and we headed downstairs. We stopped in the entryway and said goodbye to Vanessa, before Alexis called her brother in. Aiden came in, looking confused. "What's up?"

"Samara needs a ride home," Alexis replied, inclining her head towards me.

Aiden looked over at me, his silver eyes assessing me. "I thought her and Vanessa were staying for dinner."

"She says she has to be home," she sighed. "And I'm hungry, but you had, like, a dozen cookies so you can wait."

He nodded, not looking very upset about it. "Alright, tell Mom I'll be back in a minute."

"Okay! Bye Samara," Alexis chirped, waving to me before leaving. Aiden slipped on a pair of shoes and grabbed his keys.

He turned to me, "Are you ready?" I nodded and followed him outside to his car. He got in the driver's seat while I climbed in next to him. Once our seatbelts were on, he pulled out of the driveway. "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, your sister and Vanessa are awesome." I complimented, glancing at his hand that was resting between our seats. Why did I want to hold his hand? That would be weird; I'd only known him for about twenty-four hours.

The side of his lips quirked up at that, "I guess. So are you just really shy or do you not liking talking very much even when you know someone?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just shy," I responded, tucking a strand of my wavy, auburn hair behind my ear and staring out the windshield so I wouldn't be tempted to take his hand.

Aiden pulled up outside of my house, admiring the convertible parked in the driveway. "Is that your car?"

"Yeah, my mom owns a fashion company so she's really rich and my dad has a pretty good job too," I informed him, undoing my seatbelt.

He raised his eyebrows. "How come they're never home?"

"They like to travel," I muttered as I opened the door. "Bye."

He gave me a little wave, "Bye." I could feel his eyes on me as I walked up to the door and unlocked it before going inside. I turned around just in time to see his car turning around. That was when it hit me. I hadn't told him where I lived, but he knew anyways....