18- The Deal

We entered the room and I was immediately hit by the overwhelming feeling of power the people inside radiated. There were two women and two men. The oldest looked about sixty and the youngest about twenty five. When Aiden had called them ‘the Elders’ I had pictured them a bit older for some reason.

Aiden grabbed my hand and I glanced at him. He bowed his head in respect, using his eyes to tell me to do the same. I did.

“Aiden, soon to be Alpha of the Red Moon Pack, it has been a long time. What can we do for you and your mate?” The oldest man spoke. His voice was quiet, but it seemed to echo around the room.

Aiden cleared his throat. “Elder Richard, it is an honor to see you again- all of you actually. We came to search for answers.” I noticed how formally he spoke and how rigid his posture was. It made me nervous.

“Answers as to who your mate really is,” the second oldest assumed.

Aiden nodded once, keeping his eyes down. “Yes, Elder Clarissa.”

“Well then leave us,” she told us, her eyes focused only on me. All of them were watching me with an intensity that made my stomach churn.

“I beg your pardon?” Aiden asked, looking shocked. Were they really dismissing us so easily? I needed to know who I really was!

The youngest one’s expression hardened and she asked, “Did you not hear her clearly? You are to leave so we may speak to your mate.” I was getting sick of being referred to as Aiden’s mate. I had a name.

Aiden glanced at me, looking torn. “Of course,” he said quietly, letting go of my hand. I glared at him and he smiled apologetically, mouthing ‘I’m sorry’. I rolled my eyes- I would chew him out later. He slipped out of the door and I gulped.

“Samara, do you know anything of your ancestry?” Elder Richard asked me, his eyes holding wonder.

I shook my head. “No, I never knew any of my extended family.” None of them wanted anything to do with me.

“Well then I suppose it is up to us to inform you of it. The family you currently live with is not your biological family. They adopted you. Your true family was made up of mages with varying degrees of magic. Most of them were killed off in the last couple decades. You and the other survivors were sent into hiding.” I felt my mouth get dry. There were more people like me?

Elder Richard continued. “You are the daughter of one of the most powerful mages to ever live. He was killed fifteen years ago.” A year after I was born. “Therefore, it was obvious you would hold great power. Based on our research, you have the ability to control the weak minded as well as feel what the humans do.” I already knew that.

“I have no idea how to control it though.”

He nodded. “That’s why we have enlisted the help of your great aunt. She has the same abilities as you and lives in Manhattan. She’s going to come here to teach you.”

“Thank you,” I replied. My head was spinning. I was going to meet someone that was the same as me; a mage? And she would teach me how to control this? I wouldn’t have to constantly be avoiding people in fear of knowing their feelings?

“Also, we cannot allow you to become Luna of the Red Moon Pack,” Elder Clarissa said. My heart plummeted. They couldn’t do that!

I bit my lip. “Why?”

“A mage has never been a Luna-”

I interrupted her, sick of these people acting like they knew everything. “There is a first time for everything. If what you say is true, I hold a lot of power and if I learn to control it, I will be capable of helping Aiden lead a pack.”

“If you can capture, or kill, Milo, we will let you become the Luna. Think of this as your initiation test. If you fail, you will be kept away from Aiden.” Elder Richard told me sternly. The thought of being apart from him made me shudder.

I nodded bitterly. “I’ll get rid of Milo.” These Elders didn’t deserve so much respect; they were just big bullies.

“Good, that is all we have to discuss. Oh and you have one month to fulfill your quest.” Elder Clarissa informed me.

“Okay,” I replied before walking out. I refused to respect them any longer.

I met Aiden in the hallway where he was leaning against the wall. When he saw me, he quickly rushed over. “How did it go? What did they say?”

“They told me that I’m adopted and a mage and that my great aunt will be coming in to teach me how to use my powers. And I have a month to kill or capture Milo or I’m not allowed to be with you.” I informed him, my voice quivering. I wished I had never gone to see them.

Aiden snarled and started shaking. “They can’t do that!”

“Aiden, please calm down. I’m going to kill Milo so I can stay with you,” I stated, hugging him in an attempt to calm him down. It was also so he didn’t see how scared I was to kill Milo. Could I really kill someone? I didn’t even believe in the death penalty! But if it kept me with Aiden, I would do anything.

He only relaxed a smidgen. “You’re not getting close to Milo.”

“It will be after I have training time. I’ll be able to do it without being injured. You have to trust me or we won’t get anywhere,” I was trying to convince myself just as much as him.

Aiden hugged me tightly to his chest. “Fine, but I’m going to be there to help you. I don’t care what the Elders say about it; I’m not letting Milo hurt you.”

“Thank you,” I breathed.

He sighed. “Let’s go home.”

“Can we go to my house? I don’t want to be around a lot of people,” I told him as we started towards the elevator. He kept one arm firmly around my shoulders.

Aiden nodded and answered, “Of course.”

When we got to my house, I immediately turned to Aiden. He started to say something but I cut him off, pressing my lips to his. I was wearing heels- the only reason I could kiss him without standing on the tips of my toes.

He kissed me back, shocked but willing. I pulled back and sat on the bottom stair to pull off my high heels. He stared at me. “What was that for?”

“Just because I love you, will you come here?” I asked politely once I’d gotten my shoes off. He looked confused but came over. I pressed my lips to his once again. Hence why I had him come over to the stairs so I could reach his lips. Darn, his tallness.

Aiden pulled back, but I moved my lips to his neck. “What are you doing, Samara?” He asked breathlessly.

“I need you,” I told him, making it very obvious what I meant. I leaned back so I could look into his beautiful gray eyes.

He groaned and leaned back when I tried to kiss him. “I don’t have any protection.”

“That’s okay, I do. My mom sent me a package full of them when I turned sixteen with a note saying to use protection.” I informed him, pulling his lips back to mine. He pulled away again and I groaned, frustrated. “What is it this time?”

He smiled apologetically. “I just wanted to make sure you wanted this. Are you doing this because you love me and want to be with me or because you want to rebel against the Elders?”

I hesitated and he smiled knowingly. I sighed. “I do love you.”

“I know, but we have time. We’ll get rid of Milo and then we’ll get married and then we can do the deed- deal?” He asked, smirking and wriggling his eyebrows.  He wanted to marry me someday?

I laughed. “Okay… Sorry about trying to… uh, seduce you…”

“Anytime, darling,” he replied teasingly.

I blushed and rolled my eyes. “Let’s go play a board game.”

“Why?”

I shrugged, “Because, I’m bored- duh.” What other reasons were there?