two

• E m b e r •

One of the easier things about waking up at 5 AM every day was being able to avoid my mother, Thea, and her boyfriend, Bill, who were always battling a hangover with a specific vengeance they liked to take out on me. Bill was always awake at half-past six in a rage for whatever low-end job he had at the time so I would always make sure I'd be gone before he woke up. It also helped that my university was pretty far, it gave me time to get there- safe to say I had never been late for a lecture.

I showered quickly and made sure to do my little beauty routine of lotion and deodorant before standing in front of the mirror in my room with a tube of concealer and a makeup brush, the only ounce of makeup I owned. I started by covering the light bruise on my cheek (a gift from my mother when I had tried to pry a vodka bottle from her sleeping hands) and made sure the jagged scar on my upper, inner thigh was blended with my skin tone.

My mum was the only reason I was still even in that house, and as shitty as she was still my mum and I couldn't abandon her with Bill and his unstable anger issues.

I hurriedly slipped on a pair of faded blue jean shorts, making sure they covered the scar, and a random white and green band shirt that I was pretty sure belonged to one of my mother's many ex-boyfriends. I threw on my pair of tattered platform converse I had been wearing for years, the only proper shoes I owned. I shook out my long curly red hair from under my bonnet and watched as it puffed around me before I carved out my middle part and neatened it out with water, conditioners and sheer willpower- 3b/c hair was not as fun as it looked, especially when you couldn't afford the proper products.

Before I left I made sure to pack my tote bag with everything I needed for the day, as well as a bag with the clothes I'd need for our Orchestra fundraiser later that evening. I played the harp, the piano and the violin and my musical gifts were the main reason why I was awarded a full scholarship to study psychology and music. So I couldn't jeopardise this opportunity, I had to look after my mum but I couldn't allow her shitty decisions to ruin my life. I had to get my degree and get out of there- with or without Thea.

Taking a deep breath I grabbed my grey hoodie, my bags and my violin case and headed for the door. I slowly made my way down the hall, trying my best to stay as quiet as possible because the last thing I wanted to deal with was Thea or her awful boyfriend. Thankfully, I made it out in one piece and slipped on my headphones before I started my 20-minute walk to my bus stop, listening to one of my favourite piano pieces, Adagio for Strings.

As I walked I couldn't help but let my mind wander to my mother who I had left behind, it had always just been me and her for the longest time, moving from one town to the next. This was supposed to be a change, a new start but then Bill came along a few weeks after we arrived and he just never left.

But as I said, I did my best to make my presence scarce.

I made it to the bus stop just in time to climb onto the bus, taking a seat towards the back as I took out the latest book I'd been reading. I liked to look busy, it gave me something to do and it kept people from approaching me, which helped because I didn't have the time, the emotional capacity or the trusting attitude that it took to keep a close-knit friend group.

I kept my mind occupied until I saw the tall, dated building of my university, I knew we were close, and I made my way to the front for an easy exit. Stepping onto the pavement I walked to the car park, searching for the white BMW that belonged to Naomi, my closest and only friend. She was a self-proclaimed overachiever who loved early mornings and was a master of the violin, so I wasn't surprised when I found her sitting in her front seat with her nose buried in one of the readings for her labour law module.