twenty-three

• N a y a •

I knew I could never admit it to anyone but sitting in the middle of the gayest bar in town, draped in pink and blue lighting, with beautiful girls trying to gain my attention, I still couldn't stop thinking about Ember. She was on that stupid fucking date and hadn't texted me once. I kept checking my phone every few minutes just to make sure, but I was so close to just admitting defeat and texting her first.

Fuck I just hoped she was okay. I should probably just text Gabe or would that be too much?

"Okay, that's it, what's going on with you tonight?" Ayen asked curiously, taking a sip of her beer.

"I don't know what you're talking about?" I frowned, closing my phone as I took a sip of my only cider of the night, unable to stomach the bitter taste of beer.

"You know exactly what she's talking about, Naya!" Jordan smirked. "You've barely said a word and there's a blonde at the table next to us that's been trying to get your attention since she sat down but all you've done is compulsively check your phone, so what's up?"

Shit, they got me.

"Sorry guys, I'm a little distracted." I cleared my throat, taking a sip of my drink as Jordan's blue eyes carefully watched me.

"Yeah, we noticed." Jordan laughed. "I haven't seen you like this since high school. It's like you're waiting for your long lost love to call." They teased as I rolled my eyes.

"Please, Naya? A long lost love? Next joke, babe." Ayen laughed as I looked away, hoping they wouldn't see that I had become as desperate as they described and there was no denying it.

"Ha ha, you're so funny." I muttered sarcastically.

"Okay, but seriously Naya, don't you wanna get back on the horse? Doesn't seeing your friends in relationships make you wish for something more?" Jordan asked once our laughs subsided and I could only shrug.

"Nope, believe it or not I'm happy where I am. Besides, you guys remember what I was like after Sage? Besides, the way I see it, if my best friend could hurt me like that then how bad are these other girls going to treat me? The ones who don't claim to love me?" I answered truthfully as Ayen smiled sympathetically at me.

"Sage was a bitch, Naya, but just because she hurt you doesn't mean everyone else is out to get you." Jordan explained softly but I just shook my head as I took another sip.

"I'd rather not take my chances, I'm having fun and that's all I care about right now." I shrugged, my phone vibrating with a notification before I quickly grabbed it, my heart falling harder than I expected when I saw it wasn't Ember.

"For some reason I don't believe you." Jordan teased, Ayen laughing along as we all read the message on our group chat.

Gabe: do you guys want some company? Naomi and i just wiped the floor with Ember and Damon so we wanted to go get a drink to celebrate.

My stomach churned as I reread the message, feeling more nauseous with every word. I wouldn't be able to stomach sitting across from Ember and Damon on their date, I could barely survive just hearing about it so watching it happen in real time would just be cruel.

"That sounds fun, we should invite them." Ayen smiled but I found myself reacting before I could stop myself.

"NO!" I exclaimed suddenly, shocking both the couple and some party goers into silence before I cleared my throat, ignoring the questioning eyes on me. "I-It's just we're having such a great time together, I wouldn't want the vibes to be off because of the date and stuff." I shrugged, clearing my throat as Jordan's eyes narrowed, trying to read me.