twenty-seven

a/n: i can't find this song anywhere so here is a screenshot and a soundcloud link

https://soundcloud.com/hexgrl/happy

• N a y a •

Fuck.

My heart was beating too fast to focus, my hands sweaty as I stared down at the two photo strips of Ember and me. I'd never lied to Ember before and I didn't plan to, I just panicked. I couldn't deal with the embarrassment.

I was normally so cool and confident with women, but not with Ember, she completely unnerved me. I became a blushing, tongue-tied mess whenever she got too close and in the pictures, it was no different. The truth was, the machine wasn't broken, I just got to the photos first, and the second I saw them I knew I couldn't show them to Ember (or anyone really), because in those five small pictures, I was staring at Ember like no friend ever should.

It was so obvious even the blind could tell, I was going to kiss Ember if we were in that booth for a second longer, you could see it in my face, in the way I couldn't tear my eyes away from her. The photo booth was my dumb idea and yet I was the one who couldn't even look at the camera, my focus was solely on Ember, sitting on my lap even though she made my knees weak. I couldn't believe I put us through all that with nothing to show for it, all I did was traumatise Ember and make myself look like a fool.

I sighed deeply as I pocketed the pictures. What's done is done, the least I could do was get Ember water as I promised- hopefully, I could do that small thing right. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far on my mission because as soon as I rounded the corner I ran, smack dab, into a large, muscular man, nearly throwing me to the floor.

"Watch where the fuck you're going!" He spat, his voice sending chills down my spine before he walked off with his accomplice while my whole body shook.

The thick wall of a human was none other than Bill, the man from Ember's nightmares, a man I could never forget. I didn't know who he was with but judging by the dark energy that clung to them I knew I didn't want to find out.

My mind spun as I swallowed my fear, ready to make a run for it, to get back to Ember. Fuck, Ember! I had to get back to her before they saw her, before Bill could hurt her again. My fingers curled into fists as the fear sitting in my stomach like a stone exploded into anger at the thought of Bill laying his eyes on Ember. I wouldn't allow it to happen. Bill would never hurt Ember again, I'd kill him before he ever got the chance. However, before I could escape and fulfil my promise I was left weak as I overheard them.

"I swear that girl has to be around here somewhere Bill! Just as you described her! I called you as soon as she left my booth, and you were right- such a pretty little prize." The strange man grinned evilly as he looked around while my stomach rolled- they were talking about Ember.

"I don't how I let her escape the first time, fucking bitch gave me a concussion. We had a good thing going with Thea til she had to go and fucking ruin it! Now someone needs to pay off the bitch's debt." Bill grunted before they rounded the corner, relief flooding me when I realised they were headed in a different direction from where Ember was.

The minute they disappeared I managed to get my wobbly legs to move as I sprinted, water forgotten as I made it back to Ember. I was ready to warn her, tell her what I saw, what I heard but the second her blue and hazel eyes met mine my words died on my tongue. I couldn't bring myself to tell Ember, not yet, not on her birthday after she spent the evening at peace, with the most beautiful smile on her face. I had to protect her, even from this so I did the only thing I could think of: I convinced her to leave. It was hard, Ember was stubborn and while I usually admired her strength and persistence it was only making things worse.