eleven

• N a y a •

The minute I touched Ember's lips I knew I didn't have to, I just needed to get her to stop believing that having her around was a burden to me, so I just followed my first instinct. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to touch her?

A small voice told me it was the latter.

Ember stirred something in me I couldn't quite place and I hated it. I wasn't a fan of emotions, especially when they were out of my control but as soon as Lola started talking about Ember and Jacob all l could do was feel. The feelings uncurled in the pit of my stomach, turning heavy and sour the more Lola talked. I kept telling myself my reaction made sense, that I just wanted Ember to feel comfortable around my friends and the way they kept talking about her and Jacob was pissing me off.

Call me an overprotective friend but I didn't like the guy, something about him didn't sit well with me and I didn't want Ember hanging out with him.

I could barely relax the rest of the game, struggling to pay attention as I remained on the lookout for Jacob, hoping he didn't come anywhere near Ember. Thankfully I was able to keep track of the game just enough to know we won 27-13 and once we had exited the stadium with Jacob nowhere in sight I started to feel a little better. With no rush to leave right away, we strolled to the car park, waiting for Adam and Gabe around Scott's car while I found myself cornered into a conversation with Olivia as Ember spoke to Jordan, Rae and Lola.

I told myself I had to keep an eye on Ember cause my dad told me to, but if I was being honest, she caught my eye and I was having a difficult time looking anywhere else. She was so at ease, with a small smile and relaxed shoulders as golden hour hit her perfectly, painting her in a light I had never seen before. I didn't like the guy but I could understand where Jacob was coming from, if I didn't know Ember the way I did I also would've asked Lola about her.

While Olivia was going on about a topic I barely knew about, I remained consumed by thoughts that could never come to life as I looked at Ember, and I was fine with that until she looked at me. Her mismatched eyes met my green ones in a knowing gaze before a small smile graced her full lips, her cheeks hiding a soft pink tint. Gabe was completely right, Ember was beautiful and I was no better than a man, almost succumbing to a pull towards her I couldn't ignore. For the first time in my life, I found myself weak, ready to head over and insert myself in a conversation I knew nothing about, but thankfully Olivia snapped me out of it as she reached for my wrist with warm fingers to read the time on my watch.

"I should go get ready soon, are you sure you're not coming out?" She asked with puppy dog eyes as I smiled, pushing my weird feelings away.

"I've actually already been out for a few years now." I teased.

"You know what I mean." She blushed, rolling her eyes playfully.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I smiled. "Maybe after our team wins tomorrow we can all go out and celebrate?"

"Will I be the first to know?" She asked, a tone in her voice that had never been there before- I didn't like it.

"Definitely," I grinned, watching her blue eyes light up before her expression changed, her jaw clenching slightly as someone tapped my shoulder but I was surprised to see who it was.

"Hey Naya, can I talk to you quickly?" Sophia asked quietly, once I'd turned to face her, eyeing her cautiously. "Please?" She added softly and I sighed, giving in to her plea.

"I'll be right back," I told Olivia, taking one last look at Ember to make sure she was still okay before I allowed Sophia to pull me a few meters away.